A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
A group of protestant dissenters registered a house for meetings in 1781, and another group registered houses in 1803, 1805, and 1821. (fn. 1) The second group is likely to have been Wesleyan, for the Wesleyans had a licensed room in Wheatenhurst in 1825. (fn. 2) In 1851 the only nonconformist meeting was Baptist, with a congregation of 38 at a meeting-house built in 1830. (fn. 3) No more is known of the Baptist group, which may have replaced the Wesleyans and have been in turn replaced by the group of Methodists which in 1893 built the small brick chapel on the east side of the main road. (fn. 4) The chapel was in occasional use in 1968.