A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Methodists registered a house at Tidenham in 1820, (fn. 1) and a Wesleyan chapel built at Boughspring in 1836 (fn. 2) was registered by a Monmouth minister in 1844. (fn. 3) The chapel had a congregation of c. 45 in 1851. (fn. 4) The Wesleyan community died out in the early years of the 20th century, and the chapel, which was used for a time in the 1920s as a church boys' club, was demolished in the 1960s and a house built on the site. (fn. 5) A reading room built at Woodcroft in 1843 was being used for worship by Baptists and others under a Chepstow minister in 1851, when it claimed a congregation of 70-90. (fn. 6) It was presumably the Independent reading room recorded in the parish until 1870. (fn. 7) A house at Beachley was registered by an unidentified dissenting group in 1831. (fn. 8)