A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
No manor court rolls for Blaisdon are known to survive. Henry Peyton and Samuel Sheppard held courts in the earlier 17th century, (fn. 1) and a 17th-century survey of the Ayleways' estate mentioned suit of court as an obligation of the freeholders and copyholders. (fn. 2)
Overseers' accounts survive for 1728-78 and churchwardens' accounts from 1820. (fn. 3) There were two churchwardens from the 15th century; (fn. 4) in the early 1730s the same two men served as churchwardens and overseers, but later there was only one overseer. The usual forms of poor relief were applied. The overseers accounted for repairs to the church house in 1728 and 1752; (fn. 5) it was evidently the building by the church which was described as the poorhouse in 1839. (fn. 6) The cost of relief remained fairly stable in the mid 18th century but trebled during the last 20 years of the century. The cost of relief fell later but there was another sharp rise in the late 1820s. In the 1730s c. 5 people were receiving regular monthly pay; in 1803 12 people, including 4 who were disabled, were receiving permanent relief. (fn. 7) Blaisdon was included in the Westbury Union in 1835, (fn. 8) and became part of East Dean Rural District. (fn. 9)