A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Blaisdon had no village school (fn. 1) until 1847 when a National school was established in the old poorhouse by the church, which was rebuilt for the purpose in a mixture of brick and stone with Tudor-style details. In 1874 the school was being managed by the rector and had an income from voluntary contributions, school pence, and other sources; the average attendance was 25. (fn. 2) In 1894 a new school and teacher's house were built at the north end of the village by Peter Stubs. The average attendance was 39 in 1897, (fn. 3) and had risen to 77 by 1910, but later fell to 33 in 1936. (fn. 4) Attendance had fallen to c. 12 when the school was closed in 1964. (fn. 5) The building, of stone with gables with mock timber-framing, was used as a village hall in 1969.
Since the union with Flaxley Blaisdon has shared in the charities for religious books and apprenticeships founded by Catherina Boevey in the 1720s; in 1969 the proceeds were being used to build up a parish library and for financing courses in higher education. (fn. 6)