A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The Congregational church west of the green originated in or before 1756 when a group of dissenters registered a house for use as a meeting-house. The same group registered another house in 1757 as an Independent meeting, and in 1776 they registered a newly built chapel (fn. 1) which had been opened in that year by Rowland Hill, the evangelical preacher. A burial ground by the chapel was in use 1778-99. In 1801 the chapel got its first settled minister, (fn. 2) whose successor in 1851 claimed a congregation of 200. (fn. 3) There was a resident minister until the end of the 19th century; (fn. 4) in 1968 the church was served by lay preachers and a retired minister. The building, of brick with a double-ridged roof, was given pointed windows apparently in 1849, when the similarly windowed schoolroom was built. (fn. 5)
A meeting-place at Fromebridge Mills was registered in 1820, and a dwelling-house in the parish in 1826. (fn. 6) A meeting-house with a congregation of 50 in 1851 had been in use four or five years. (fn. 7) No other reference to those meetings has been found.