A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
William Tray, a Congregationalist who had been ejected from the rectory of Oddington at the Restoration, was excommunicated for preaching in his house at Leonard Stanley. (fn. 1) Four Presbyterians and some Baptists were recorded in the parish in 1735. (fn. 2) Houses were registered for dissenting worship in 1802, 1805, and 1807, (fn. 3) and the Wesleyan Methodist chapel in the Street was built in 1810 (fn. 4) and registered in 1814; (fn. 5) it is a square stone building with sash windows, a doorway with a fan-light, and shallow pilasters at the corners. The chapel had a congregation of 150-200 in 1851; (fn. 6) services were still held there in 1967, and part of the chapel was used by a youth club.