BHO

Wheatenhurst or Whitminster: Charities

Pages 298-299

A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10, Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1972.

This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.

Citation:

CHARITIES.

By his will dated 1794 Abraham Elton of Clifton directed that £300 of £3,000 which he gave for the poor of various parishes should be for Wheatenhurst. In 1808, following a dispute about the will, a Chancery decree assigned to the poor of Wheatenhurst the interest on £703 stock. (fn. 1) In 1827 the charity was distributed in the form of clothing. (fn. 2) Before 1848 Thomas Brewer gave by will a sum, represented in 1968 by £197 stock, for widows and the aged poor; R. H. Carter (d. 1868) gave by will £200 for poor not receiving relief; and by will proved 1877 Daniel Crump gave £100 for bread for the poor. All four charities were united by a Scheme of 1913. The combined income, £29 in 1962, (fn. 3) was distributed in 1968 in cash to 14 recipients under Elton's and Brewer's charities and to 22 under Carter's and Crump's. (fn. 4)

Footnotes

  • 1. 12th Rep. Com. Char. 49, 51.
  • 2. 16th Rep. Com. Char. 82.
  • 3. Bigland, Glos. iii, no. 296; Char. Com. Reg. The £70 from charities in Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1902), 352, evidently includes Dorothy Bayly's ecclesiastical charity: see above, p. 297.
  • 4. Ex inf. Mrs. Kirkwood.