A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The manor of Avening was closely linked to that of Minchinhampton where tithingmen for Avening and Aston attended view of frankpledge in the later 13th century. (fn. 1) Aston was sometimes considered to be a constituent part of Minchinhampton manor and Avening manor was itself administered as such from time to time. (fn. 2) In the year following Michaelmas 1380 two courts for Avening manor were held at Avening and a third court was held at Minchinhampton, where the homage of Avening presented in 1388 and 1397. (fn. 3) Profits of court and view of frankpledge were considered among the assets of Avening manor in the early and mid 15th century (fn. 4) but later in the century the court was again being held with Minchinhampton. (fn. 5) Woodwards appointed at Minchinhampton administered the woodland in Avening, (fn. 6) and the liberties granted to the lords of Minchinhampton were also exercised in the manor of Avening. (fn. 7)
The account of parochial government in Avening includes information for that part of the parish later transferred to Nailsworth. Churchwardens were recorded at Avening from the 15th century (fn. 8) and records of the overseers of the poor survive from 1674, when £86 11s. 10d. was spent on relief, until 1811. (fn. 9) In 1694 it was decided to badge the poor, (fn. 10) who were sometimes helped by the parish to purchase looms or spinning-wheels. (fn. 11) During most of the 18th century the cost of poor-relief in Avening tithing exceeded that in Nailsworth tithing. (fn. 12) A workhouse was recorded in the parish from 1776 and in 1777 a salaried overseer was appointed. In 1780 the salaried overseer was assisted by the workhouse governor. (fn. 13) In 1783 the governor was discharged and the workhouse was discontinued, (fn. 14) remaining empty in 1803. By 1813 it had been re-opened and had 18 inmates. (fn. 15) A cottage was purchased for use as a poorhouse in 1793 and other cottages in the same row were purchased before 1817. (fn. 16) A smallpox-house was recorded at Nailsworth in 1786. (fn. 17)
Vestry minutes survive for the period 1847-95. In 1848 Avening village had a nuisance removal committee, which became a local board of health, with separate committees for Avening and Nailsworth, in the following year. In 1853 the board dealt with the whole parish and had a sub-committee for Nailsworth. (fn. 18) Avening parish became part of the Stroud poor-law union in 1836 (fn. 19) but was transferred to the Tetbury union in 1893 after the formation of Nailsworth parish. (fn. 20) In 1972 Avening formed part of the Tetbury rural district.