A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
A bequest by Elizabeth Coxe, widow of John Driver of Aston, of £50 for a school to teach poor children the principles of religion, was secured by Thomas Stephens of Gloucester. By will dated 1721 he devised in trust the tenement called Nibletts with an adjacent close; 50s. of the rent was to pay a schoolmistress and the remainder was to maintain the school. (fn. 1) In 1818 the land formed the endowment of a dame school, which all might attend; (fn. 2) in 1825 it was a Sunday school. (fn. 3) The teacher was paid £6 10s. from the poor-rate and the rent of 2 guineas from School Close was added to the parish stock, but by 1827 the school had lapsed and the Coxe and Stephens charity was not applied to any established school; the poor preferred to send their children to Minchinhampton (fn. 4) to David Ricardo's school. (fn. 5) In 1825 14 of the 38 children in the parish attended the Minchinhampton dayschool. (fn. 6) By 1833 the Sunday school at Cherington had been re-established, teaching 22 children and supported partly by the 50s. annual bequest and partly by voluntary contributions. (fn. 7)
Cherington Church of England school was founded in 1851 (fn. 8) by the rector William George (fn. 9) and his sister Elizabeth, who later supported it. (fn. 10) The school with its adjacent school-house was built north of the church. In 1887 the income was provided by endowments, including the Coxe and Stephens charity, (fn. 11) school pence, and other sources. (fn. 12) The school, which had mixed and infant departments in the early 20th century, (fn. 13) was enlarged c. 1909 (fn. 14) and by 1910 could accommodate 75 children. The average attendance rose from 30 in 1885 to 67 in 1910. (fn. 15) By 1936 it had fallen to 34 (fn. 16) and in 1968 there were only 12 pupils. (fn. 17) The school was closed in 1969 (fn. 18) and the pupils were transferred to Tetbury. (fn. 19) The sum of 50s. paid annually from the educational charity, under the name of Drivers charity, was applied to the church fund (fn. 20) and by 1973 the school buildings were occupied as private dwellings.
In 1818 there was also a day-school, where between 22 and 30 children were educated at their parents' expense. (fn. 21)