A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Before the 19th century nonconformity within the parish of Horsley was based on meeting-houses in the settlements later transferred to Nailsworth, and so statistics for early nonconformity at Horsley are given under Nailsworth. A house at Horsley was licensed by protestant dissenters in 1735 and another by Baptists in 1756. (fn. 1) A chapel was built for Wesleyans at Downend in 1820 and licensed in 1822. In 1851 the congregation at the chapel numbered c. 200. (fn. 2) The chapel is not recorded in use after 1919 (fn. 3) and in 1972 the site was occupied by garages to a private house. Protestant dissenters licensed houses at Nupend in 1818 and 1828. (fn. 4) A small chapel was erected at the southern end of Rockness near the boundary with Nailsworth in the earlier 20th century but no record of its use has been found.