A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
An estate later known as the manor of NAILSWORTH possibly originated in the 2-yardland estate held from Avening manor in Henry II's reign by Jordan of Nailsworth, (fn. 1) who was perhaps the Jordan Murdac recorded at Nailsworth at the close of the 12th century. (fn. 2) Walter of Nailsworth had a considerable estate there in 1255. (fn. 3) An estate at Nailsworth, held from Avening manor, later belonged to John Bardolf (d. 1363), and after his death Queen Philippa and later Hugh Woodward had custody of it until John's son John came of age in 1371. (fn. 4) It was presumably the estate called the manor of Nailsworth which passed to John Basset, who granted it to John Bromwich. Bromwich's widow Catherine was allowed by his brother and heir Walter and Walter's son and heir Thomas to hold the estate, and Catherine, who married Roger Leech and also farmed Minchinhampton and Avening manors under the Crown, died in possession of Nailsworth manor in 1420. (fn. 5) Soon after her death Thomas Bromwich was forcibly disseised by the same or another John Basset, (fn. 6) who was described as of Nailsworth in 1434. (fn. 7) Afterwards the manor passed to James Hyett of Lydney who made it over to his son Roger before the latter's death in 1478; the manor was then said to be held by a lease from Syon Abbey, the overlords. Roger Hyett was succeeded by his brother Thomas, a minor (fn. 8) (d. 1543), who was succeeded by his son James. (fn. 9) By 1566 the manor had passed to James's son Charles, and in 1601 Charles's son, Richard Hyett, sold the manor to the overlord, Lord Windsor; (fn. 10) it then descended with Avening manor. (fn. 11) The capital messuage, called Nailsworth Farm, was leased with lands to the Tanner family in 1602, but has not been found recorded after the mid 18th century. (fn. 12)