A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
There were 4 Presbyterians, 2 'Anabaptists', and 5 Quakers recorded at Woodchester in 1735 and in 1750, but no group had a chapel in the parish. (fn. 1) A house was registered for protestant dissenters in 1758 and a number of houses were used by unidentified groups in the earlier 19th century. A house at Frogmarsh was registered by Independents in 1796 and another house in 1802. In 1827 a house was registered by Unitarians. (fn. 2) A Baptist chapel was built at South Woodchester in 1825 and had an average attendance of 180 in 1851. (fn. 3) In 1972 it had an average attendance of 14 persons. (fn. 4)