A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
A court at Edgeworth was mentioned in 1342 (fn. 1) but no court records are known to have survived. In the mid 16th century frankpledge jurisdiction over Edgeworth was exercised by the hundred court. (fn. 2) Tenants at Westwood in the Middle Ages presumably attended the court of the Abbot of Cirencester for Througham manor. (fn. 3)
The parish had two churchwardens from the 16th century (fn. 4) but none of their early records nor the records of the overseers are known to have survived. The expenditure on poor-relief in 1813, when 14 people were on permanent relief and 11 on occasional relief, was £80. (fn. 5) It declined steadily to £49 in 1825, (fn. 6) but in the following years was usually higher, reaching £121 in 1831. (fn. 7) The parish became part of the Cirencester poor-law union in 1836 (fn. 8) and remained in Cirencester rural district in 1971.