A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Hodges of Shipton Moyne by will dated 1723 gave 40s. a year to Westonbirt for teaching poor children. (fn. 1) The teacher of the school, mentioned in 1793, (fn. 2) received the sum in the early 19th century for teaching four pupils, (fn. 3) but in 1819 the number was reduced to three. (fn. 4) They were among the 26 pupils who in 1833 attended the day-school (fn. 5) standing north of the village street by the former Sherston road. (fn. 6) By 1856 it was a National school with one mixed department, and was supported by R. S. Holford. (fn. 7) In 1871 the school, known as Westonbirt C. of E. school, had an income derived from pence and the endowment; the charity children were still taught there. Attendance in 1872 was 37. (fn. 8) A new school and school-house were built by R. S. Holford at the west end of the village in 1873. (fn. 9) Attendance fell from 44 in 1911 to 28 in 1936. (fn. 10) The school was closed in 1948 and the pupils were transferred to Tetbury. (fn. 11) The educational charity was applied to the upkeep of the village library in 1923; (fn. 12) the annual income in the early 1970s was c. £5. (fn. 13)
By 1818 a winter evening-school had been started at Westonbirt and was attended by 18 people; (fn. 14) it was last recorded in 1825. (fn. 15) The parish also had a Sunday school, attended by 21 children in 1818 (fn. 16) and by 28 in 1833. (fn. 17)
The rector of Lasborough ran a school in the mid 16th century. (fn. 18) No later evidence of a school there has been found and in 1818 the poor were said to be without means of education. (fn. 19) In the later 19th century the children attended schools in Westonbirt or Newington Bagpath (fn. 20) and in 1974 they went to Tetbury. (fn. 21)