A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 11, Bisley and Longtree Hundreds. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1976.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
There was no evidence of nonconformity in the parish in 1676 (fn. 1) but Richard Pinchin of Miserden was a partner in a Quaker marriage at Painswick in 1684. (fn. 2) In 1735 one Presbyterian and five people described as Anabaptists were enumerated (fn. 3) but the Presbyterian was no longer resident by 1750. (fn. 4) Four houses were registered as places for worship for nonconformist groups between 1797 and 1834; three were at the Camp where the Baptists, and possibly the Methodists, were active. (fn. 5) There was a Baptist chapel at the Camp, probably built in 1833, which had an attendance of c. 40 in 1851. (fn. 6) The chapel was used until c. 1900. (fn. 7) Towards the end of the 19th century the Primitive Methodists built a chapel in Miserden village (fn. 8) which remained in use until c. 1939. (fn. 9) By 1970 the former Primitive Methodist chapel had been converted to a house for the district nurse, and the Baptist chapel was used as an out-building to New Inn House. (fn. 10)