A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 4, the City of Gloucester. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1988.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
The following list (fn. 1) is of streets which existed before 1800 within the old city boundary. The modern name of each street, and the first date at which that name has been found, is followed by earlier variations, with dates to indicate when they were in use. As will be seen, some streets had two or more names at the same time. Posts displaying the street names, set up in 1671 'for preserving of the ancient names', (fn. 2) seem to have done little to standardize the usage. For the location of the streets, see Figs. 4, 8, 16.
Principal sources used are as follows; other sources are given in footnotes.
Abbey Lane, see College Street; St. Mary's Street.
Ailesgate Street, see Eastgate Street.
Anchor Alley, see Turnstile Alley.
Barton Street, c. 1260, (fn. 10) from the bartons of the king's and Glouc. Abbey's manors.
Bearland (formerly The Bareland), 1301: (fn. 11) New Street, 1714, having been newly built up in the mid 17th cent.
Blackfriars, 1843, from former Dominican friary. Apparently built 1246. (fn. 17)
Bolt Lane, see Longsmith Street.
Broadsmith Street, see Berkeley Street.
Brook Street, see Station Road.
Bulgeres Lane, c. 1285. (fn. 22) Unidentified.
Butchers' Row, see Westgate Street.
Castle Lane, early 13th cent. (fn. 25) The continuation of Upper Quay Street through to the castle. Destroyed for new Shire Hall complex 1960s.
Catherine Wheel Lane, see Berkeley Street.
College Court, given that name 1778: (fn. 28) Craft's Lane, 1333, (fn. 29) 1535; Ironmongers' Row, 1455, 1523; (fn. 30) Turries Lane, 1455, 1544; (fn. 31) St. Peter's Lane, 1509, (fn. 32) 1743; Upper College Lane, 1714, 1778. (fn. 33)
College Street (formerly Lane), 1780: Lich Lane, 1276, 1509, (fn. 34) because it gave access to the abbey burial ground; Abbey Lane, 1455, 1649; St. Edward's Lane, 1509, 1544, (fn. 35) perhaps from an unofficial canonization accorded to Edward II after his burial in the abbey; King Edward's Lane, 1551, 1784, (fn. 36) from the abbey gate, said to have been built by Edward I; Lower College Lane, 1714, 1795. (fn. 37) The name King Edward's Lane was used later (1826) for an alley, also called Upper George Passage, on the east side of College Street.
Constitution Walk, 1779. (fn. 38)
Cordwainers' Row, see Northgate Street.
Craft's Lane, see College Court.
Crypt Alley, see St. Mary's Lane.
Crypt Lane, see Greyfriars.
Dean's Walk, 1803: (fn. 41) Chapel House Walk, 1843. Existed from medieval times as part of a way from the blind gate to St. Thomas's chapel and Kingsholm palace (e.g. 1535).
Dockham Lane, used for various streets which led to Dockham ditch (formerly the Old Severn), see Clare Street; Mount Street; White Swan Lane.
Dog Lane, 1780: Brook Lane, 1832. (fn. 42) Mentioned 1455 as the way leading from outside the east gate to Brook Street. Destroyed 1970s for new shopping precinct.
Dolphin Lane, 1843, from inn. Led off Northgate Street, north of the Oxbode. Closed during redevelopment of the area 1926.
Ebridge Street, see Westgate Street.
Fete Lane, see Alvin Street.
Fish Street, 1395. (fn. 46) Unidentified.
Fox Entry, see Mercers' Entry.
Gore Lane, see Bull Lane.
Goseyrote Lane, 1277. (fn. 47) Unidentified.
Grace Lane, see St. John's Lane.
Grant Lane, see New Inn Lane.
Great Western Road, given that name 1889. (fn. 48) The northern part was Hyde Lane, 1589, (fn. 49) 1826; it was lengthened 1830s to give access to union workhouse and called Union Lane. (fn. 50) A street further east later took the name Hyde Lane.
Green Dragon Lane, see Parliament Street.
Greyfriars, 1843, from Franciscan friary: Friars Street, or Lane, before 1714, 1743; Crypt Lane, 1714, from church of St. Mary de Crypt.
Half Street, see St. Mary's Street.
Hare Lane, Back or Little, see Park Street.
Hyde Lane, see Great Western Road.
Ironmongers' Row, see College Court.
Island, The, see Westgate Street.
Jewry or Jews' Street, see Eastgate Street.
Kimbrose (formerly St. Kyneburgh's) Lane, 1743, from almshouse, formerly chapel.
King's Walk, 1970s, when the surviving part of the old street was redeveloped as a covered shopping area: King Street, 1780, 1970s. The north part was removed in the late 1920s when King's Square was laid out.
Ladybellegate Street, 1843, from a gate to Blackfriars at its northern end, which was called after Joan (d. 1567), wife of Sir Thomas Bell.
Leather Bottle Lane, see Archdeacon Street.
Lich Lane, see College Street.
Longsmith Street, 1549: (fn. 53) 'the smiths' street', 1215; (fn. 54) Old Smiths' Street, 1390, (fn. 55) 1535; Schoolhouse Lane, 1535, from school kept there by Llanthony Priory; Bolt Lane, 1714, 1843, from inn.
Love Alley, see Mercers' Entry.
Mercers' Row, see Westgate Street.
Milk Street, 1620, 1732. (fn. 60) Unidentified, in St. Mary de Crypt parish.
Mill Lane, see Station Road.
Mitre Street, see the Oxbode.
Mount Street, 1883: (fn. 61) Dockham, 1843, 1852.
Myende Lane, c. 1270. (fn. 62) Unidentified, in lower Westgate Street area.
New Street, see Bearland; Queen Street.
Northgate Street, 1455. The part between the north gate and outer north gate was usually distinguished as lower Northgate Street, e.g. 1649, 1780. The west side of the upper part of the street was called Cordwainers' Row, 1392, c. 1740. (fn. 66)
Onnyat Lane, see Alvin Street.
Parker's Row, see Brunswick Road.
Pilgrims' Lane, see New Inn Lane.
Portcullis Lane, see St. Mary's Street.
Quay Court or Little Quay Lane, see Turnstile Alley.
Quay Street (or Lane), 1714. Apparently unnamed 1633 when mentioned as the 'street leading by the Marybone Park rails'. (fn. 77)
Rosse Lane, see New Inn Lane.
St. Aldate Street (formerly Lane), 1544, (fn. 85) from church: St. Aldhelm's Lane, 1455, when that was an alternative dedication of the church.
St. Catherine Street, 1714, from church. Wateringstead, or Watering, Street, 1350, 1728, from a watering place on the Old Severn, was used for the whole street from the blind gate to Alvin gate; (fn. 86) later, 1780, 1843, the southern part near St. Oswald's was called Water Street and the rest St. Catherine Street.
St. Edward's (or King Edward's) Lane, see College Street.
St. John's Lane, 1714, from church: Grace Lane, late 13th cent., 1814, (fn. 87) from church of St. Mary de Grace.
St. Mary's Lane (Marylone), 1316, (fn. 88) from church of St. Mary de Crypt: Crypt, or St. Mary de Crypt, Alley, 1714, 1826.
St. Mary's Street, 1883, (fn. 89) from church of St. Mary de Lode. The southern part was called Abbey Lane, 1316, (fn. 90) 1649, Portcullis Lane, 1649, 1721, (fn. 91) from inn, and Three Cocks Lane, 1743, 1867, (fn. 92) from inn. The northern part was called Half Street, 1589, (fn. 93) 1852.
St. Peter's Lane, see College Court.
Saters Lane, 1455. Ran from Longsmith Street to Blackfriars, east of Ladybellegate Street. Closed by 1535.
Schoolhouse Lane, see Longsmith Street.
Scrudde Lane, see Cross Keys Lane.
Severn Street, 1295, 1643. (fn. 94) Ran from the Bristol road to the Severn at the south boundary of the city. The houses there were destroyed at the siege of 1643, but it survived until the building of the canal basin in the 1790s.
Sheep Lane, mid 13th cent., (fn. 95) 1535. Ran from Greyfriars to the south wall of the city, parallel to Southgate Street. It was partly built on, and probably closed, by 1641, and part was used as a garden in 1760. (fn. 96)
Shipsters Lane. Ran along the south wall of the city, west of the south gate. Mostly destroyed by the enlargement of the ditch 1260s. (fn. 97)
Small Lane, 1354, (fn. 98) 1535. Ran from St. Owen's church to Severn Street, parallel to lower Southgate Street. Probably destroyed 1643.
Smith Street, Little, see Berkeley Street.
Southgate Street, c. 1141. (fn. 99) The part outside the south gate, as far as Severn Street, was sometimes distinguished as lower Southgate Street, e.g. 1535, 1780.
Station Road, 1883: (fn. 100) Brook Street, early 13th cent., (fn. 101) 1649; Mill Lane, 1843, 1852. In 1883 only the west part was called Station Road and the east part was called Market Street; the whole became Station Road after the building of Eastgate station in 1896. (fn. 102) The houses in Brook Street were destroyed at the siege of 1643.
Tewkesbury Street, see Hare Lane.
Three Cocks Lane, see St. Mary's Street.
Travel Lane, see Bell Lane.
Turnstile Alley, 1795, 1862: (fn. 103) Anchor Alley, 1714; Little Quay Lane, 1780, 1826; Quay Court, 1843. Ran from lower Westgate Street to the north end of the quay. Destroyed early 20th cent.
Turries Lane, see College Court.
Vete Lane, see Alvin Street.
Walkers' Lane, see Lower Quay Street.
Water, Watering, Wateringstead Street, see St. Catherine Street.
Westgate Street, 1312: (fn. 104) Ebridge Street, early 13th cent., 1595. (fn. 105) The western end, beyond the Old Severn, once described as 'between the bridges', early 13th cent., (fn. 106) 1743, became known as The Island, 1728, (fn. 107) 1843. The eastern end was once divided by a central line of buildings into two lanes, that on the south side called Butchers' Row, 1522, 1836, and that on the north side called Mercers' Row, 1522, 1843. (fn. 108)
White Swan (or Swan) Lane, 1843, from inn: Dockham Lane, 1455, 1826; Dock Lane, 1455, 1714. Ran from lower Westgate Street to the Old Severn. Destroyed for redevelopment 1970s.