A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1903.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
22. THE HOUSE OF THE CARMELITES OF WINCHESTER
Of the Carmelite house that stood near that of the Austin friars which was founded in 1278 and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, there is little to chronicle.
It seems to have been only a small establishment. Bishop Sandale ordained six from this convent, and Bishop Asserio three.
At its suppression, the dwelling and the land on which it stood only realized a rental of 6s. 8d. yearly.
There is no inventory extant of the Winchester Carmelites. Apparently they were dispersed before Richard Ingworth's visitation.