A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1903.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
30. THE HOSPITAL OF FORDINGBRIDGE
Very little is known or can be gleaned with respect to the hospital at Fordingbridge. It was dedicated in honour of St. John Baptist, which was the usual dedication of town hospices, for the transitory relief of poor wayfarers, and the more permanent maintenance of some of the local poor.
It was from an early date under the control of the diocesan. Bishop Pontoise (1282-1304), the first Bishop of Winchester, whose registers are preserved, collated to the wardenship. (fn. 1)
In 1328 there was considerable dispute over the appointment of James de Stepellavynton to the wardenship, his collation by Bishop Stratford being opposed, and not accepted until he had threatened Dame Joan Tracy, William her chaplain and six others with excommunication. (fn. 2)
On 15 May, 1385, Bishop Wykeham collated William Olyver to this hospital; and on 4 August, 1396, John Tannere. (fn. 3)
The advowson of the hospital of St. John, Fordingbridge, was among the very considerable endowments intended to be transferred to the great Hospital of St. Cross, Winchester, by Cardinal Beaufort. (fn. 4) This transference or amalgamation formed part of his large scheme that was actually accomplished; for a compotus of St. Cross for the year ending Michaelmas, 1526, includes receipts from the small Fordingbridge hospital. (fn. 5)
Wardens of the Hospital of Fordingbridge
Adam de Northaye, (fn. 6) 1313
James de Stepellavynton, (fn. 7) 1328
Clement de Fordingbridge, (fn. 8) 1329
Thomas de la More, resigned in 1348
Richard de Mora, 1348-9
William Wyse, 1349-62
Robert Michel, (fn. 9) 1362-9
Edward Tavenere, 1369
William Olyver, 1385
John Tannere, (fn. 10) 1396