A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1903.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
43. THE PRIORY OF APPLEDURCOMBE
The priory of Appledurcombe was founded (circa) 1100 as a cell to the Benedictine abbey of Montebourg in the diocese of Coutances, on the manor of the same name which had been granted that community by Richard de Redvers in 1090.
The priory held land in Sandford, Week, Appledurcombe and Wydcombe.
A survey of 1295 shows that the priory possessed 2 horses, 1 bull, 8 oxen, 12 cows, 2 bugles, 9 calves, 130 sheep, 248 ewes, 160 lambs, 4 boars, 12 sows, 48 pigs, 28 young pigs, and 4 hens and a cock. (fn. 1)
In 1339 Edward III. gave orders for the removal of the prior of Appledurcombe and his monks from their priory near the sea coast to Hyde Abbey owing to the war with France. We suppose the order was carried out, as it is entered in the episcopal registers together with an injunction to the abbot of Hyde to see to its due performance. (fn. 2)
In 1385 the annual value was returned at £45. (fn. 3) On 27 March, 1395, orders were conferred in the priory church or chapel on four sub-deacons, three deacons, and four priests by Simon, Bishop of Achonry, acting as suffragan of Winchester. (fn. 4)
The prior, temp. Richard II. petitioned the king and council for relief in consequence of the devastation caused to their property by the enemy from both France and Spain. (fn. 5)
The priory was held by the Crown during the wars with France in the reigns of Edward I. and III., and was suppressed with other alien houses in 1414, and was bestowed by the Crown on the Nuns Minoresses without Aldgate. In 1528 the prioress, Dame Dorothy Comberford, granted a thirty-three years' lease of Appledurcombe to Sir James Worsley. (fn. 6)
Priors of Appledurcombe (fn. 7)
Hugh, in the time of Stephen
Lawrence Bertram, 1331
Peter de Mouster, 1385
Thomas atte Tounesende, 1403