A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1908.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF BOSMERE
CONTAINING THE PARISHES OF
|HAYLING ISLAND, including||WARBLINGTON with Emsworth Chapelry (fn. 1)|
|NORTH AND SOUTH HAYLING|
In the Domesday Survey the hundred of Bosmere, or Boseburg as it is there called, (fn. 2) included Hayling, as yet undivided, Brockhampton, a tithing of Havant, Havant itself, which does not appear to have been quit of suit at the hundred court till later, and Newtimber, a tithing of Warblington. Warblington is assessed under Westbourne in Sussex, but was most probably included in Bosmere Hundred. The total assessment before the Conquest was fifty-seven hides and a half, which by 1086 had decreased to thirty-four. Havant had become a separate liberty before the thirteenth century, (fn. 3) and the manor of Hayling in South Hayling became quit of suit at the hundred court under a grant from Queen Mary to Henry earl of Arundel, in 1553. (fn. 4) The hundred was thus diminished to one parish, viz. Warblington, and it seems probable that, owing to its small extent, the sheriff held one tourn for the hundreds of Portsdown and Bosmere. (fn. 5) This assumption is strengthened by the fact that in 1465 the tithingman of Farlington ' in the hundreds of Portsdown and Bosmere ' made presentment at the sheriff's tourn at ' Grenefeld' of the obstruction of a footpath from Hambledon to Havant. (fn. 6) Bosmere Hundred was in the hands of the king, and appears to have been farmed occasionally. (fn. 7)