A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1908.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF HAMBLEDON
CONTAINING THE PARISH OF
HAMBLEDON, with the tithings of Denmead, Chidden, Glidden, and Ervill's Exton (fn. 1)
At the time of the Domesday Survey Hambledon was not entered as a hundred. It was assessed at two hides, which were included in Meonstoke Hundred; one hide being among the lands of William de Perci, (fn. 2) and the other among those of Earl Roger. (fn. 3)
In 1316 Hambledon, with Chidden, Glidden, and Denmead, was included in East Meon Hundred, which was held by the bishop of Winchester. (fn. 4)
Hambledon seems first to have been formed into a separate hundred in the reign of Edward III, (fn. 5) when it contained the tithings of Chidden, Glidden, and Denmead, and was owned by the bishop of Winchester. (fn. 6)
In this reign a tax of a fifteenth and a tenth levied on the country produced £5 6s. 8d. from the hundred of Hambledon, (fn. 7) and similar taxes levied in the reigns of Henry VIII, (fn. 8) Elizabeth, (fn. 9) and James (fn. 10) produced exactly the same amount.
In 1422 the whole of the modern tithings, Chidden, Glidden, Denmead, and Ervill's Exton or Leigh, were included in the hundred. (fn. 11) The hundred of Hambledon has always been in the hands of the bishop. (fn. 12)