A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1908.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Winnall is a small parish of about 533 acres lying to the north-east of Winchester, at the foot of St. Giles Hill, seeming to be locally part of Winchester. The village lies in the south, the few cottages being grouped along a road which is a continuation of Water Street (Winchester). This road runs north through the downland which composes the rest of the parish, directly to Easton.
The small picturesque church of St. Martin stands at the upper end of the village street on the west almost immediately opposite the rectory, and a little to the east of the church lie Winnall Farm and the manor-house. The Didcot, Newbury, and Winchester Branch of the Great Western Railway runs along the eastern side of the parish, with its nearest station at Winchester. The River Itchen, as it curves south below the Worthies, flows along the western borderline of the parish through low-lying meadows which are constantly flooded.
Since the extension of the boundaries of the borough of Winchester the greater part of Winnall has been included in the borough, and since the Local Government Board order, dated September, 1894, the rural parts of Winnall have become part of the parish of Chilcomb Without.
WINNALL was probably one of the seven small manors included in Chilcomb (q.v.) in 1086. (fn. 1)
It was evidently confirmed to the prior and convent of St. Swithun in 1205, together with Chilcomb and most of the land round Winchester, (fn. 2) and it remained in their possession until the time of the Dissolution, (fn. 3) when the manor, together with the rectory, was granted by Henry VIII to the dean and chapter of Winchester; (fn. 4) it has now become absorbed in the borough of Winchester.
In 1651 the Commissioners for the Sale of Bishops' Lands sold 13 acres of arable land in the parish of Winnall to Nicholas Love. (fn. 5)
The church of ST. MARTIN was rebuilt in 1858 of flint and stone in thirteenth-century style. It consists of a chancel, nave, south porch, and western turret containing one bell by W. and R. Cor of Aldbourne, 1713.
The church of St. Martin, Winnall, was probably one of the nine churches included under Chilcomb in the Domesday Survey. (fn. 6) In 1291 it was assessed at £8, (fn. 7) but by 1335 the rectory was only valued at £3 6s. 8d. (fn. 8)
The advowson is now and always has been in the hands of the bishop. (fn. 9) The rectorial tithes were confirmed with the manor to the prior and convent of St. Swithun in 1205, (fn. 10) and remained in their possession until the Dissolution. In 1541 they passed with the manor to the dean and chapter of Winchester. (fn. 11)
In 1859 Henry Knight, by will proved this date, left £150 consols, income to be applied by minister and churchwardens on 20 February in each year (the anniversary of his birthday) in distribution of bread, fuel, or money, among the necessitous poor of the parish.