A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 4. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE HUNDRED OF THE NEW FOREST
containing the parishes of; Boldre; Bramshaw; Brockenhurst; Linwood; Lyndhurst; Minstead (fn. 1)
At the time of the Domesday Survey the Hampshire portion of Bramshaw, Brockenhurst and Minstead was entered under the hundred of 'Rodedic.' Lyndhurst and Boldre were included in the hundred of Boldre, while no mention is found of Linwood, which was probably then included in Godshill, which, if the identification be correct, appears under Rodedic Hundred. (fn. 2) Some time before 1316 the hundred of the New Forest wasformed from parts of Rodedic and Boldre Hundreds, and it then included the vills of Ippley, Buttessashe, Langley, Holebury, Hordie, Warborne, Pi1ley, Battramsley, Wooton, Burley, Linwood, Godshill, Nova Villa, Fritham, Canterton, Minstead, Bartley, Lyndhurst, Brockenhurst and Brookley. (fn. 3) The hundred remained practically unchanged until 1662, (fn. 4) but between that date and 1831 the portion of the parish of Fawley hitherto included in the hundred of the New Forest was transferred to that of Bishop's Waltham. (fn. 5) Since 1831 Minstead and Lyndhurst have been removed to Thorngate Hundred.
The extra-parochial district of Linwood, except for its insertion under this hundred in 1831, belongs properly to Fordingbridge Hundred, and is now a detached portion of Ellingham (q.v.).
The hundred, as far as is known, has always remained in the hands of the Crown. The courts, presided over, until the early part of the 19th century, when the office was abolished, by the Under Steward of the Forest, were held at Lyndhurst.