A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 4. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Odiham is a large parish containing 7,354. acres of land and 50 acres of land covered with water. The nearest railway station is at Hook, on the London and South Western Railway. The picturesque old town of Odiham is grouped on either side of a wide road called High Street, running east and west. At its eastern end the road branches into two, one of which is the high road to Bagshot and Staines and the other to Farnham. At the western end of the town the High Street divides into three; one branch leads through North Warnborough, across Bartley Heath, and through Hook to Reading. Another branch leads west to Greywell, and the third is the high road to Alton. The vicarage, said to be Elizabethan, stands to the north of the road. It has a gabled, overhanging front, but has been much modernized.
The Priory—so mis-called—formerly the rectory, stands at the west end of the town, on the north side of the road at the corner, but is completely hidden from it by trees. It is now occupied by Mr. P. L. Sclater, F.R.S. The main house is of the time of Queen Anne, of red brick and stone. The older portion, dating from the middle of the 15 th century, is a wing built of stone, running north and south, and apparently consisting formerly of a single large hall about 82 ft. long by 13 ft. wide, with an old fireplace a little to the south of the middle of its length on the east side. It had two floors, both lighted by a range of windows with cinquefoiled pointed lights under square heads, and an old doorway with a four-centred arch at its north end. The wood doors belonging to it have been removed and rehung at the front entrance of the more modern building. The building fell into decay, and the north end of it is still ruinous; the rest was put into order some forty years ago by the late Lord Basing, who converted it into a study, bedrooms, outhouses, &c, and built a connecting building between its south end and the main house.
The George Hotel was licensed in 1540, and much of the original building still stands, although it was refronted some time in the 18th century. There are old beams in the ceiling of the ground floor, which was probably one long room. The chimney-piece at one end of the dining-room is of 17th-century workmanship. It is richly carved with square panels above the shelf and round-headed panels below. On the first floor are timbers of an ancient roof-truss showing in the present drawing-room. A wood doorway with a four-centred arch under a square head now opens into cellars.
The grammar school, founded by Robert May in 1694, is south of the High Street on a branch road. The almshouses, founded by Sir Edward More in 1623, are near the church, outside which still stand the old stocks and whipping-post.
The Basingstoke Canal passes to the north of the town and is carried by an aqueduct over the River Whitewater, near Odiham Castle. To the north of the town at Colt Hill there is a wharf which was at one time largely used for the conveyance of chalk, obtained mainly from the large pit to the south of the town, to all parts of the surrounding country, but the wharf is now disused. The River Whitewater forms part of the western boundary of the parish, dividing it from Greywell, but near the ruins of Odiham Castle it takes a sharp turn eastward, and after supplying power to two mills at North Warnborough flows northward past Poland Mill, Crooked Billet and Borough Court, forming the western boundary between Newnham and Odiham. At Hook, which is partly in the parish of Odiham, there is a foundry.
The parish is hilly and well wooded, and contains several large commons; Odiham Common to the north-east, Bartley Heath, where there is a golf course, to the north-west, and Horsedown Common to the south-east. Parts of the parks of Dogmersfield and Winchfield Lodge are in Odiham, and there is a small park surrounding Hatchwoods, the residence of Lady Petre. The town of Odiham stands on a chalky hill at about 300 ft. above the ordnance datum, and the land falls in the north to about 200 ft. and rises to the south of the town to some 400 ft. above the ordnance datum, the highest parts of Horsedown Common being at a height of 500 ft. The inclosure award for the tithings of Hillside, North Warnborough, Rye, Stapely and Odiham is dated 12 February 1791. (fn. 1) In 1905 the distribution of arable, grass and woodland, was given as 3,772 acres of arable, 1,948 acres of permanent grass, and 109 of woods and plantations. (fn. 2) The soil is of a mixed character; the subsoil is of clay and chalk, producing crops of cereals and hops. Hay is much grown in the district.
Place-names which occur in connexion with Odiham are Chalvemede, Pilersehacche (fn. 3) (xiii cent.),Tortehulle, Rude, Scuteshangre, Garstanmed, Doningele, Bykelynche, le Oldmede (fn. 4) (xiv cent.), Townsend, Powling Meade, Aynellsland (fn. 5) (xvii cent.).
Among the notable men who have been connected with Odiham may be mentioned William Lily the grammarian, who was born at Odiham about 1468. He was appointed first head master of St. Paul's School in 1512. (fn. 6) Henry Chicheley, Archbishop of Canterbury, 1414–43, became Chancellor of Salisbury and rector of Odiham in 1404. (fn. 7) Thomas Burgess, Bishop of Salisbury, was born at Odiham in 1756 and educated for five years at Odiham Grammar School. He was appointed Bishop of St. David's in 1803, and was transferred to the see of Salisbury in 1825.
Before the Conquest ODIHAM was held by Harold, and in 1086 it was a royal manor. It would appear possible from the Domesday entry that there was at that time a royal residence there. The manor had more than doubled in value, and there was a large and evidently prosperous community of tenants, such as might be found at a manor in which was a royal residence. (fn. 8) It would seem that Henry I had a residence here which he visited in 1116, (fn. 9) and upon which repairs were made in 1130. (fn. 10) The castle, however, of which the ruins now remain, was built by King John on a new site, namely on 20 acres of meadow land which he took from Robert the Parker of Odiham. (fn. 11) The exact date of this transaction is not known, but ditches were being made and buildings erected at Odiham, presumably for the castle, in 1207 (fn. 12) under the direction of John Fitz Hugh, and in 1213–14 repairs were made on the castle which must then have been built. (fn. 13) King John was frequently at Odiham, evidently at the newly-built castle. He passed through Odiham on 28 July 1204 on his way from Glastonbury to Windsor, and visited it in June 1207, December 1207–8, February, June and October 1209, February and May 1210, May 1212, March and April 1213, and in May 1215. He was there also on 4 and 9 June 1215, and was summoned thence by the barons to Windsor previous to granting Magna Carta. (fn. 14) He passed again through Odiham on 26 June, on his return from Windsor to Winchester, His last visit to the town was from 14 to 18 April 1216. (fn. 15) John Fitz Hugh was warden of the castle while it was being built, but in April 1216 Bartholomew Pechie, then warden, was ordered to deliver the custody of the castle to Engelard de Cigoinny, (fn. 16) a military commander of some note, afterwards Sheriff of Surrey. During the wardenship of Engelard de Cigoinny, Louis, the Dauphin of France, with the English barons, besieged Odiham Castle in July 1216. The garrison at the time consisted only of three knights and ten Serjeants, who, after the French had attacked them with siege engines for three days, sallied forth and engaged an equal number of the enemy, and returned to the castle unhurt. After fifteen days of the siege they surrendered the castle to Louis, retaining their arms and horses and without loss, to the great admiration of the French. (fn. 17)
In 1223 the wardenship of the castle was granted to Stephen Langton, Archbishop of Canterbury. (fn. 18) In the following year the archbishop surrendered it to William Rughedon (fn. 19) who on the same day delivered it to Hubert de Burgh, the justiciar, (fn. 20) but on account of certain informalities these last two appointments were cancelled, (fn. 21) and in February of the same year the custody of the castle was given to Osbert Giffard. (fn. 22) In 1225 very considerable repairs were carried out on the castle, the tower was re-roofed and the timberwork repaired. The palisades around the tower were at the same time renewed. (fn. 23)
On 7 July 1232 the wardenship of the castle was granted to Hubert de Burgh, the justiciar, for life, (fn. 24) but upon his disgrace before the end of the month he was ordered to deliver over his custody to Stephen de Segrave. (fn. 25) The wardenship was again granted in 1234 to Engelard de Cigoinny during pleasure, (fn. 26) but two years later he received a command to deliver the castle to Reginald Whitchurch. (fn. 27)
Up to this date it had been retained by the Crown in the hands of a warden, but in November 1236 it was granted with the manor to Eleanor, Countess of Pembroke, the king's sister, during pleasure, for her residence. (fn. 28) She married, as her second husband, Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester, in 1238–9, and the castle was held by them until 1258, when, under the Provisions of Oxford, all wardens of royal castles having to resign their office, Simon surrendered Odiham,which he had just repaired, to the king. (fn. 29) The constable under Simon de Montfort was Henry de Fonuner, and when he delivered up the castle he took away with him all the rolls and writs, so that when the bailiff was required to produce records as to a suit between two tenants in 1267–8 he was unable to do so. (fn. 30) The Countess Eleanor is said to have been visited at Odiham in 1265 by the Princes Edward and Henry. (fn. 31)
John de London became warden of the castle in 1274–5, (fn. 32) and in 1275 it was assigned to Queen Eleanor wife of Edward I. (fn. 33) In 1278 the keeper of the park was commanded to allow the constable to have ten oaks from the park for the repair of the houses of the castle. (fn. 34) Further repairs were carried out in 1279–80 under the supervision of Ralph de Sandwich, the seneschal, (fn. 35) and in 1282 the custody was granted to Nicholas le Gras. (fn. 36)
Hugh le Despenser the younger became warden of the castle in 1293–4, (fn. 37) and the castle and town of Odiham were granted in 1299 to Margaret, the second queen of Edward I. (fn. 38) A Parliament was held at Odiham in 1303, when a statute was passed allowing foreign merchants to trade in England. (fn. 39) In December 1307 the keeper of Odiham Castle received orders to fortify it, in view of the king's intended journey to France for his marriage with Isabella, which took place in January 1308, for the greater security of the realm during his absence. (fn. 40)
Robert Lewer was made warden in 1311, (fn. 41) and was ordered to provision the castle, (fn. 42) apparently on behalf of Edward II and Gaveston's party against the barons, and in the same year the keeper of the park was ordered to provide timber for repairs to the castle. (fn. 43) Hugh le Despenser was again made warden in 1317, (fn. 44) but was ordered to deliver up his office in 1321 to Robert Lewer. (fn. 45) During the rebellion of the Duke of Lancaster in 1321–2 Robert was commanded to strengthen the garrison at Odiham, for its security in the king's service. (fn. 46) Lewer, however, joined the Lancastrian party, whereupon his office was given to John de St. John of Basing, who was instructed, if necessary, to seize the castle by force. (fn. 47) He apparently obtained possession, for Lewer attacked and attempted to carry it by storm. (fn. 48) During the attack considerable damage must have been done to the fabric, as heavy repairs had to be undertaken in 1324–5. (fn. 49)
The castle was granted by Parliament in 1327 to Queen Isabella in recognition of her services in suppressing the Despensers' rebellion, (fn. 50) but on her fall in 1330 her large estates were seized, and Odiham was not restored, but was granted in 1331 to Queen Philippa for life. (fn. 51) In 1335 further repairs were carried out. (fn. 52)
David Bruce, King of Scots, was incarcerated at Odiham for some time, and was released in 1357 on the payment of a ransom of 100,000 marks. (fn. 53)
In 1369–70 the castle and vill of Odiham were granted to Walter Walsh for life for a yearly payment of £55. Walter was to be responsible for the payment of a carpenter, a parker, and a tiler, and for the roofing of houses in the castle with the exception of the great tower or keep. The cost of repairing the walls was to be borne by the king. (fn. 54)
Bernard Brocas obtained a grant of the castle for life in 1377, (fn. 55) and it was given in dower to Queen Anne, consort of Richard II, in 1382. (fn. 56) It was again fortified in 1386 (fn. 57) against the forces of the Duke of Gloucester. In 1399 it was granted to John Leventhorpe, the king's servant, for life, (fn. 58) and in 1454 it was assigned as part of the dower of Margaret, consort of Henry VI. (fn. 59)
Constables were appointed until the end of the 15th century, (fn. 60) but the castle probably fell into disrepair about this time, or early in the 16th century, for it is not mentioned in a lease of the manor to Chideock Paulet in 1545, and no notice of it appears in a survey of the manor in 1630, (fn. 61) though its grounds are then mentioned. The ruins of the castle in Bignell Field, North Warnborough, are referred to in a deed of 1699. (fn. 62)
The ruins, which belong to Sir Henry P. St. John - Mildmay, bart., lie to the north-west of Odiham town, in the hamlet of North Warnborough, on the banks of the Basingstoke Canal. Originally the castle probably consisted only of a great tower surrounded by a ditch. In many of the documents of the 13th century it is called the tower (turris) of Odiham, (fn. 65) but in later records there are references to the houses in the castle, which may have been erected at the time it was the residence of Eleanor, Countess of Pembroke, or later. (fn. 66) In the accounts of the repairs made during the 14th century mention is made of gates on the south, east, and west sides, a bridge with palisades on the west side, and a room over the gateway. In 1373 stone was brought from Bentley Quarry for making an oven (fornacium) in the castle. (fn. 67)
The tower, or keep, the ruins of which remain, is octagonal in plan, about 36 ft. in diameter inside, with walls of flint about 10 ft. thick. The faces of the walls, both inside and outside, have been picked away, and only traces of the angle buttresses remain. There are remains of a doorway on the east side, and a large opening on the west, which probably marks the position of a doorway on that side. Holes on the inside of the walls show the position of two upper floors, and there are round arched windows in each stage which are considerably larger in the middle stage than in either of the others. There is also a large fireplace in the upper stage on the south side.
A plan of the castle, with a short account of it, was exhibited to the Society of Antiquaries by Sir Everard Home, bart., in 1840. (fn. 68)
Odiham Park probably existed at a considerably earlier date than the castle, possibly in connexion with an earlier royal residence, for Hugh the Parker is mentioned in 1130–1, (fn. 69) and the land and mills of Robert the Parker were taken by King John for the site of the castle. (fn. 70) The earliest mention of the park occurs in 1216 when it was saved to the king with the castle when the manor was granted to Engelard de Cigoinny. (fn. 71) Judging by the number of grants of deer from the park to various persons it would seem that it was well stocked. (fn. 72) Timber was brought from the royal property of Odiham to build Eton College. (fn. 73) A large stud of horses was maintained in the park during the 14th century. The practice of rearing horses at Odiham was apparently established by Engelard de Cigoinny during his tenancy of the manor, for in 1223–4 the constable of Odiham was ordered to allow him to take away his mares from the park. (fn. 74) Eleanor, Countess of Pembroke, to whom the manor was granted in 1236, kept there large hunting stables and a great number of horses. (fn. 75) The establishment of a royal stud there apparently took place in 1312, when the Sheriff of Southampton was ordered to find maintenance for twenty colts and seven grooms, sent to Odiham, and to provide a bushel of oats and two bushels of bran daily for every four colts and to pay 2d. each daily to the grooms. (fn. 76) In 1319 further orders were issued as to the maintenance of the stud at Odiham, (fn. 77) and in 1324 the barns of Odiham were repaired, and mills and a house for the king's colts and their keepers were newly built. (fn. 78) Master William Marshal was in 1331–2 appointed keeper of the stud farm, and ordered to sell some of the horses there. (fn. 79) In 1339 the constable of Odiham was ordered to repair the granges, stables, and pinfold at Odiham, (fn. 80) and in the following year a new pinfold was built there for the king's foals. (fn. 81) Ten of the best mares from this stud and those at Windsor and Guildford were sold in 1360–1 and the profits given to William of Wykeham for repairs at Windsor. (fn. 82) No mention of the stud is found after this date.
The park apparently remained in the hands of the king till 1299 when it was assigned with the manor to Margaret wife of Edward I. (fn. 83) It formed part of the dower of Queen Isabella in 1327, (fn. 84) and was granted in 1369–70 to Walter Walsh. (fn. 85) The park was not granted with the manor to the Earl of Mar, but was included in the grant to Edward, Lord Zouche, in 1617–18. (fn. 86) In 1630 it was described as being well stocked with deer, and the fish ponds and river supplied large quantities of fish. (fn. 87) The latest mention of the park discovered is in 1669. (fn. 88)
The manor of ODIHAM was ancient demesne held before the Conquest by Earl Harold. At the Conquest it passed to King William, (fn. 89) and it remained in the hands of successive kings of England, in the same way as the castle, usually but not always under the same warden as the castle. The manor followed the same descent as the castle until 1408, when it was granted separately to Queen Joan, the second wife of Henry IV. (fn. 90) She died in 1437 and John Basket obtained a grant of the manor for life in 1440, he bearing all the charges for repairs and paying the wages of the constable of Odiham Castle, and a rent of £22 6s. 3d. to the king. (fn. 91) In 1454 the manor was granted to Margaret, consort of Henry VI, in exchange for other manors which had been granted to her as dower, (fn. 92) but it was resumed by Edward IV in 1464, (fn. 93) and granted to his consort Elizabeth in 1466. (fn. 94) The manor was leased in 1541 for fifty years at a rent of £46 8s. 9d. to John Jenyns, (fn. 95) but this lease was vacated on a personal surrender in 1545 in order that a similar lease might be made to Chideock Paulet. (fn. 96) The lease to Chideock was renewed in 1558 for fifty years, (fn. 97) and the manor was granted in 1603 to John, Earl of Mar. (fn. 98) The Earl sold the manor shortly afterwards to Edward, Lord Zouche, (fn. 99) to whom it was confirmed by letters patent in 1617–18. (fn. 100) Lord Zouche dying without male issue in 1625 left the manor to his cousin Sir Edward Zouche, Marshal of the Household. (fn. 101) Sir Edward was succeeded in 1634 by his son James Zouche, on whose death in 1643 the manor passed to his son Edward. (fn. 102) He died in 1658 and was succeeded by his brother James, (fn. 103) on whose death without issue in 1708 the manor passed to his niece Sophia wife of John Bayes, the daughter of James's sister Sophia (vide Elvetham and Greywell). (fn. 104) On the death of the last representative of the Zouche family the manor was thrown into Chancery, out of which it was purchased in 1742 by Paulet St. John. (fn. 105) It now belongs to his descendant Sir Henry Paulet St. JohnMildmay, bart.
A palace is said to have existed at Odiham, and it is possible that a house for the accommodation of the royal household may have been built after the castle had fallen into ruins. Nothing now remains of the ancient palace except a few old stones with carved heads in a farm-house called Palace Gate Farm in the west end of the town. The house probably stands on the site of the entrance to the mansion which is described in 1630 as 'a fair gate house of brick, cornered and windowed with stone.' (fn. 106) Meetings of the Privy Council were held at Odiham in 1576 and 1591. (fn. 107) The site of the manor, by which is probably meant the remains of the royal mansion, is mentioned in deeds of 1718 and 1723–4. (fn. 108)
In memoranda relating to the manor of Odiham in the 16th century it is noted that Robert Wakefield, late bailiff of the manor, pulled down a dwelling house called the king's—, (fn. 109) which stood upon the site of the manor of Odiham 'where the courts were wont always to be kept till now of late,' and afterwards granted the site of the manor to one John Creswell whose heirs were still enjoying it without paying anything to the Queen's Grace. (fn. 110)
Odiham was an important place at the time of the Domesday Survey, but it was probably not until King John began his castle there that there was any attempt to raise its status to anything beyond that of a royal manor. In 1204 however the manor of Odiham was granted by the king to the men of Odiham at a fee-farm of £50. (fn. 111) This grant may perhaps be looked upon as conferring upon the town the characteristics of a borough, such as would be expected in a town lying under the influence of a royal castle. But the men of Odiham do not seem to have appreciated this opportunity of raising the position of their vill and allowed their fee-farm rent to fall into arrears, whereupon the king in 1207 ordered John Fitz Hugh to resume the manor into the king's hand. (fn. 112) Though the men of Odiham were summoned to return members to Parliament they never seem to have done so, (fn. 113) and the burghal rights of the town, if any ever existed, evidently lapsed through want of user. Odiham is called a 'borough' in the Testa de Nevill, (fn. 114) but this seems to be the only case where the term has been applied to it.
The market rights of Odiham apparently belonged to the owner of the manor for the time being. In the reign of Henry VI two fairs were held, on the 'Day of Our Lady' and on 'Margret Day,' (fn. 115) and in 1431 there is mention of a fair held at the feast of the Annunciation. (fn. 116) In 1720 the market was held on Saturday, (fn. 117) and in 1778 and 1792 on Friday, (fn. 118) but before 1849 the day was changed to Tuesday, (fn. 119) and so remains to the present day. The fairs in 1849 were held on the Saturday preceding Mid Lent Sunday and on 31 July, (fn. 120) and they are held at the same dates at the present day. Owing to the hilly character of the roads near the town the market has always been chiefly confined to the produce of the neighbourhood. The fair is for horses and cattle.
Petty Sessions for the division are held in the Court House on alternate Tuesdays, and constables are annually elected at a court leet of the manor held at Easter. (fn. 121)
The manor of STAPELY (Stapeleg, Stappell, Stapel, xiii cent.; Stapeleigh, Stapley, xvi cent.) was held in chief of the king by the serjeanty of serving forty days in the army with horse and arms. (fn. 122) In 1200 land in Stapely was granted to Adam de Stapely, (fn. 123) and in 1219–20 John de Stapely released to John son of Adam de Stapely a hide of land in Stapely. (fn. 124) This John son of Adam also known as John Caty or Stacy was absent in 1233 on the Welsh Marches, evidently rendering the service due for this manor. (fn. 125) He gave the manor to William de Synaguy, and the gift was confirmed by the king in 1251. (fn. 126) William died about 1271–2 and was succeeded by a son Edmund (fn. 127) who sold the manor in 1300 to John de Beauchamp of Fifield. (fn. 128) Five years later John granted the manor to Robert de la Burgh and Margery his wife. (fn. 129) The manor descended in the family of de la Burgh, atte Berwe or Barrowe, (fn. 130) till 1566 when George Barrowe sold it to Anthony Bustard, (fn. 131) of whom it was purchased in 1575 by Thomas Goddard. (fn. 132) Goddard sold it in 1582 to Richard and Edward Wroth, (fn. 133) and it was purchased in 1609 by James Wolveridge of Edward Wroth and Sir George Calvert. (fn. 134) James died in 1625 when he was succeeded by his nephew James, (fn. 135) who sold the manor in 1647 to Nicholas Love. (fn. 136) The manor was sold in 1671 by Robert Welstead and his wife Katherine to Stephen Terry, (fn. 137) but this conveyance would appear to have been made for some settlement, for in 1678 the manor still belonged to Robert Welstead and was then conveyed to trustees for the benefit of his creditors. (fn. 138) It passed before 1714 to Gilbert Serle of Weston Corbett, (fn. 139) and descended in the same way as Weston Corbett to Sir William Oglander, who held it in 1830. (fn. 140) After this time no further mention of the manor has been found.
The three estates called the manors of BULLOCKS, (fn. 141) BOWERS, and NEWLANDS formed part of the Barrowes' property at Odiham. Robert Barrowe died in 1553 holding the manor of Bullocks, (fn. 142) which he had settled upon his wife Margaret as her jointure. (fn. 143) There was a capital messuage at Newlands which was sold by George Barrowe to James Wolveridge, (fn. 144) the father of the purchaser of Stapely. The estate called Bowers passed with Stapely to the Wolveridges and was sold by James Wolveridge in 1647 to Nicholas Love. (fn. 145) Newlands Farm near Stapely may mark the approximate site of the estate called Newlands. The name Bullocks is retained at Bullocks Farm, in Hillside. The three estates now belong to Sir Henry P. St. John-Mildmay, bart.
The manor of POLLING (Pulling, xv cent.; Polands or Poleing, xviii cent.) was ancient demesne of the Crown and was held of the king in chief. (fn. 146) It is first mentioned in 1305 when Henry Sturmy died seised of it, but it seems to have formed part of the estate held at Odiham in 1174–5 by his ancestor William de Bendeng. (fn. 147) It passed from the Sturmys to the Seymours in the same way as Liss Turney, and passed to the Crown in 1541 by exchange with Edward, Earl of Hertford, afterwards Duke of Somerset. (fn. 148) Four years later it was granted by Henry VIII to Robert Creswell of Odiham, (fn. 149) of whom it was purchased in 1579 by Peter Osborne and Nicholas Young. (fn. 150) Nicholas died seised of it in 1595, (fn. 151) and his son Robert sold it in 1596–7 to John Fielder, from whom it passed in 1638 to his son John. (fn. 152) John Fielder sold it in 1639–40 to Anthony Pickering. (fn. 153) The manor is next mentioned in 1755, when it belonged to Sir John Tylney, Earl Tylney of Castlemaine. (fn. 154) He died without issue in 1784, (fn. 155) and the manor passed to Catherine Tylney Long, granddaughter of the earl's sister Emma. (fn. 156) A conveyance by her in 1811 to Robert Bicknell (fn. 157) was probably made for a settlement on her marriage with William Pole Tylney Long Wellesley, afterwards Earl of Mornington, which took place in March of the following year.
The manor of MURRELL (Morhala, xii cent.; Morhalle, Morhal, xiii cent.; Murrall, Morrall, xvi cent.) was ancient demesne of the Crown. (fn. 158) In 1170 Arthur de Morhala was fined a mark at Hampshire Great Pleas, which had not been paid in 1175. (fn. 159) In 1202–3 Gunilda, wife of Arthur, granted to Gunilda de Broc a croft of land in Murrell called Northcroft for her life, (fn. 160) and in 1218–19 Stephen de Morhale and his wife Emma, and Edith sister of Emma, released to William Bulloc all their claim in a virgate of land at Murrell. (fn. 161) Peter son of Arthur acquired land in Murrell in 1227–8 from John de Everleigh. (fn. 162) The manor of Murrell had been acquired before the middle of the 13th century by Adam de Bendeng, (fn. 163) and it apparently from this time followed the same descent as the manor of Polling, (fn. 164) to which it became annexed before the end of the 16th century. (fn. 165) The district called Murrell Green is 2¾ miles north of the town, and now belongs to Sir Henry P. St. John-Mildmay, bart.
The manor of BOROUGH COURT (Bracourt, Borowcourt, Brokecourt, xvi cent.; Brockcourt or Burrowecourt, xvii cent.) was held of the priory of St. Mary Magdalen, Winchester, in 1477, (fn. 166) and in 1619 was said to be held of Odiham Manor. (fn. 167) A licence was given by Bishop Orlton (1333–45) to William Resel to celebrate mass in the oratory of his manor of Brok in the parish of Odiham. (fn. 168) The manor of Borough Court is first mentioned in 1477, when Richard Newport died seised of it, leaving John his son and heir. (fn. 169) In 1544–5 it was conveyed by Walter Bonham and others to William Dale, (fn. 170) and in 1561 it was sold by John Dale to John Fielder. (fn. 171) It passed from John Fielder to his grandson John, (fn. 172) and was sold by the latter in 1699 to Frederick Tylney of Rotherwick. (fn. 173) From that time it passed with Rotherwick (q.v.), and the manor is last mentioned in 1811. (fn. 174) Borough Court, which is now the property of Mr. Charles Edward Harris St. John of West Court, Berks, stands on the eastern bank of the River Whitewater, in the extreme north of the parish.
The manor of NORTH WARNBOROUGH was held of the manor of Odiham. (fn. 175) In 1555–6 a fulling mill and land in North Warnborough were granted by Robert Creswell to Nicholas Vaus. (fn. 176) Possibly it was this estate which was known during the 16th century as the manor of North Warnborough. Nicholas Vaus died seised of it about 1560, leaving Robert his son and heir, (fn. 177) who was succeeded in 1609 by his son Richard. (fn. 178) After this time no further mention of the manor has been found. The tithing of North Warnborough is about a mile north-west of the town, and belongs to Sir Henry P. St. John-Mildmay, bart.
The manor of RYE (La Rye xiv cent.) was held of the king in chief. (fn. 179) Certain land at Odiham was forfeited in the reign of Henry III by Maud de Rya, and was entered upon by Geoffrey de Bath the king's cook before 1235–6. (fn. 180) In 1246 the king confirmed the estate to Geoffrey, (fn. 181) who was still holding it in 1279–80. (fn. 182) It is uncertain whether this is the same estate as a messuage and land at Rye which were settled in 1317 upon Robert de la Rye of Odiham and his wife Denise and their issue, with remainder in default to John de Stourton and his heirs. (fn. 183) Robert died in 1343–4 without issue by Denise, and the estate passed under the above settlement to Julia, wife of Sir William Talemache, daughter and heir of John Stourton. (fn. 184) Sir William and Julia settled property in Odiham called la Potte in 1348–9 on William de Fremelesworth and Eleanor his wife, with remainder to their sons Richard and William. (fn. 185) By a later fine a messuage, land, and rent in Odiham, Polling, Rye, and Murrell were settled on them, their son John being placed first in remainder. (fn. 186) The manor, as a messuage and a carucate of land called la Rye, was held in 1377 by William Dobbes of Eleanor Fremelesworth for his life. (fn. 187) Eleanor died in 1392, and part of her estate at Odiham, apparently la Rye, passed to her granddaughter Joan, daughter of John Fremelesworth, wife of John Grant, and la Potte to a second granddaughter Joan daughter of William de Fremelesworth, wife of Richard Alderton. (fn. 188) Anthony Moore died in 1583 holding the manor in right of Alice his wife. (fn. 189) In 1596 his son Richard Moore granted the manor to John Osborne and Anne his wife, a natural sister of Richard, (fn. 190) and John and Anne sold it in 1598 to William Coldham of Stedham (co. Sussex). (fn. 191) In 1630 the manor was sold by William Carique, William Arderne senior, and William Arderne junior, to Edward Bathurst. (fn. 192) In 1811 the manor was in the possession of Catherine Tylney Long. (fn. 193) Great Rye Farm and Little Rye Farm now belong to Mr. Lionel Phillips of Tylney Hall, having probably been purchased by him in 1899 at the same time as Tylney Hall. (fn. 194)
The manor of STURTONS.—A messuage and land in Odiham was held in 1278–9 by Walter de Stourton and Julia his wife. (fn. 195) It probably passed, by the marriage of Julia daughter of John de Stourton to Sir William Talemache, and seems to have followed the same descent as Rye to the Moore family. Anthony Moore held it at the time of his death in 1583, in right of his wife Alice. (fn. 196) It afterwards passed to Benjamin Rudyerd, and was conveyed by him in 1736 to Paulet St. John. (fn. 197) Rudyerd and St. John sold it in 1742 to Richard Boddicott. (fn. 198) In 1752 Richard Boddicott and his wife Mary conveyed the manor to Edmund Boddicott, (fn. 199) doubtless for the purpose of settling it upon their son Richard, who married Sarah daughter of Samuel Tyssen in that year. (fn. 200) Richard the son died in 1759, and his widow Sarah settled it in 1780 upon her daughter Sarah, wife of Samuel Tyssen. (fn. 201) Sarah died in 1800, (fn. 202) and the manor passed to her grandson, Samuel Tyssen, and was settled upon him in 1807 on his coming of age. (fn. 203) The further descent of the manor has not been traced.
The manor of PARKERS or GERRARDS.—Hugh the Parker of Odiham is mentioned in 1130–1. (fn. 204) The manor may have originated in land at Odiham held in the 13th century by Robert the Parker. In 1235 Robert was excused a rent of 20s. which he had been accustomed to pay for land in Odiham, because 20 acres of his meadow had been taken by King John for building Odiham Castle, and his mills had been burnt by that king. (fn. 205) In rentals of the manor of Odiham in the reigns of Edward I and Edward III William Parker is returned as holding half a hide of land and the site of a mill. (fn. 206) The first mention of the manor occurs in 1699. It was purchased by Sir Thomas Higgons of Greywell from Walter Richards and Nathaniel Pickering, and was sold by his three sons George, Thomas, and Bevill Higgons in 1699 to Henry, Lord Hyde, and others. (fn. 207) It had passed before 1739 to the Tolls of Greywell, and in that year it was settled upon Anne Toll for life with remainder to Charles Toll. (fn. 208) In 1778 the estate was sold for the benefit of the creditors of Edmund Pittman, a bankrupt. (fn. 209) The manor still existed as such in 1862, (fn. 210) and now belongs to Baroness Dorchester of Greywell Hill.
A hide of land at BERCHELEI was held at the time of the Domesday Survey by Godwine as one of the king's thegns. It had been held before the Conquest by Edwin of King Edward as an alod. (fn. 211) This manor was in 'Efedele' Hundred and probably lay in Odiham. Mr. Round suggests that its site may have been at Bartley Heath.
There were eight mills at Odiham at the time of the Domesday Survey. (fn. 212) One or more was destroyed by King John when the castle was built. (fn. 213) A mill was destroyed by fire in 1337–8, (fn. 214) and a new cornmill was built in 1345–6. (fn. 215) In 1431 a new millstone was brought from London and various repairs were done. (fn. 216) A mill at Warnborough is mentioned in 1630, (fn. 217) and its representative still exists. A fulling mill at North Warnborough is mentioned in 1555–6. (fn. 218) There is also a mill near the castle called Castle Mill, and Poland Mill on the River Whitewater is to the north of Poland Farm. This last may be the representative of one of the two water-mills which belonged to the manor of Polling in the 16th century. (fn. 219)
The church of ALL SAINTS is a large rectangular building consisting of a chancel 32 ft. 3 in. by 18 ft. 9 in. with north and south chapels 17 ft. 3 in. wide, that on the south now being used as a vestry and organ chamber, nave 57 ft. 6 in. long, 18 ft. wide at the west, and 20 ft. wide at the east, with west tower 17 ft. 6 in. by 16 ft. 6 in., and north and south aisles continuous with the chapels and extending to the west wall of the tower. The north doorway is inclosed by a porch. All the above measurements are internal.
The width of the nave at the west end probably represents that of an early nave, and there are a few loose stones in the tower, and one or two more built into the south aisle, which belonged to a 12th-century building, but the oldest walls now standing are those of the chancel and its aisles, and the lower part of the tower, which belong to the early part of the 13th century. At this date the church was as long from east to west as it now is, and the chapels possibly as wide as at present, and there was doubtless a nave with aisles. This has entirely gone, to be succeeded by a spacious 16th-century building with aisles made equal in width to the chapels and prolonged to the west face of the tower. The eastward widening of the nave dates from this time. The tower was rebuilt in the 17th century, and is a very pretty piece of brickwork, like that of Crondall, but more ornamental.
The chancel arcades are of two bays with circular columns having moulded circular bases and irregular octagonal capitals with semicircular responds to match. The west respond of the south arcade has a modern capital of 15th century detail.
The arches are pointed and have one chamfered order. To the south of the east chancel window is the three-centred head of a blocked doorway which appears to have led into an east vestry below the east window outside the church.
The north window of the north chapel is entirely modern, and has three cinquefoiled lights under a square head, and below its sill is that of a 13th-century lancet, possibly in position, and further west the jamb of a doorway which may be contemporary with it. Further to the east is a blocked doorway of red brick with a moulded four-centred head and jambs; it is of early 16th-century date.
Near the south jamb of the east window of this chapel is an octagonal image bracket, and a number of brasses and monuments have been collected from various parts of the church and placed here. The south chapel has a side window of the same design as that in the opposite chapel, and to the east of it is a small modern doorway with chamfered jambs and two-centred arch. Its walling does not look ancient, and it may have been rebuilt in the 17th century.
The western arches of both chapels are alike, and practically of the full width of the chapels. The responds are semi-octagonal, and the arches of an obtuse two-centred shape with two chamfered orders. They belong to the general rebuilding of the nave; the arch to the south chapel has no north respond.
The north arcade of the nave is of three bays with slender octagonal columns having plainly-moulded bases and capitals. The arches are two-centred, and of wide span and obtuse form; the details are the same as those at the west of the chapels.
The south arcade has four bays with columns composed of four attached shafts between four large hollow chamfers. Each shaft has an octagonal moulded base and capital, the whole resting on a high plain plinth, while the arches are two-centred and moulded with a large casement continued from the hollow chamfers of the piers. The work is better and probably earlier than the north arcade.
In the north aisle the two north windows and the west window have old arches and jambs fitted with modern tracery; a north-west window formerly existed, but is now marked only by a patch of brick-work.
The north doorway with its porch is of the same date as the aisle, and has moulded jambs and four centred arch under a square head with carved spandrels. The outer arch of the porch has two orders of double ogee mouldings, and there is a small modern window in each side of the porch. The upper and lower doorways of the rood stair and part of the turret containing the stair remain at the north-east of this aisle.
The windows of the south aisle, two in the south wall and one in the west, are all alike, and have each four plain lights with plain, unfoiled vertical tracery, the internal splays being old. The rear arches are plastered.
The tower arch has plain, slightly chamfered jambs and pointed arch. At the springing is a 12th-century abacus, grooved and hollow-chamfered, which is not as wide as the jambs, and is evidently re-used here. The arch itself has been rebuilt, but partly with old stones. The north and south walls of the tower are not pierced with arches, but have square-headed doorways with wood frames, leading into the north and south aisles. In the east wall near the south respond of the tower arch is a small opening in which is a piece of late Gothic tracery; it is blocked, but visible from both sides, and is doubtless a late insertion. The west doorway is modern and has a fourcentred arch and a square head with carved spandrels. Above it is a three-light window with a transom and uncusped tracery in a four-centred arch, which is part of the 17th-century work. The tower has three stages, the two upper ones being of brickwork in Renaissance design, with small angle pilasters with Ionic capitals. At the top is an embattled parapet with modern angle pinnacles of brick banded with stone. The belfry windows have semicircular heads, and are flanked by projecting Ionic pilasters carrying a moulded cornice. The capitals of the pilasters are of cut brick or perhaps terra cotta. In the west face of the middle stage is a stone two-light window with a square head and moulded label, and at each stage are weathered stone strings with grotesque heads at the angles and corners. The chancel has an arched ceiling with modern boarding, while the whole of the other roofs are of old timber with arched braces below the rafters.
The chancel arcades are filled with oak screens, the one in the east bay on the north side being modern, but that in the second bay is old and is of eight bays, solid below and open above, with tracery heads of 15th-century style under a moulded cornice.
The pulpit is of late 16th-century date, and is hexagonal in shape, the sides having rectangular lower panels with arched panels over with a moulded and carved cornice. All the panels, styles, and rails are covered with carving in low relief. At the west ends of the north and south aisles are galleries with pretty balustraded oak fronts, each carried by four Ionic columns with rather clumsy entasis. There is a carved top rail with small round-headed arches between the heads of the balusters, and below the balusters a row of small panels and an enriched cornice, on which in the south aisle is the inscription: '[Joh]n Rivers senior gave forty shillings, John Keye and Richard Flory churchwardens 16,' continuing in the north aisle with '32, Alexsander Serle gave all the balesters not of wealth but of good wil that othe(r).' The unfinished and divided inscription shows that the front is moved, having been originally across the west end of the nave. On the die of a baluster in the south aisle is the name 'George Searle.' The stairs up to these galleries at the west ends of the aisles have contemporary ornamented strings, turned balusters and newels and moulded handrails.
The font is placed at the south-west corner of the nave. It is of chalk, of 15th-century date, and has a circular moulded basin, stem and base. On the southwest side of the bowl is a curious rectangular projection, the top of which is hollowed into a small basin from which are two outlet holes. It is probably part of an arrangement for fastening the cover, as staples driven into the chalk rim of the bowl would have been likely to split it. Round the bowl is an inscription in black letter. It is much damaged owing to the soft nature of the material, but can still be read: 'Auxiliũ meum a dño qui fecit celũ & t[e]rā'
In the nave are the figures of a civilian and his wife from an early 15th-century brass. The man wears a long robe with loose sleeves and a girdle with purse and dagger. His wife wears a low-cut gown having tight sleeves with turn-over cuffs. The skirt is full with long folds, and she wears a horned head-dress. The inscription is lost. Below is a priest in mass vestments; the inscription reads: 'Hic jacet magist' Will[el]m[u]s Goode nup[er] vicarius de Ponteland in Northūbria et rector de Dogmasfeld qui obiit xj die Septēbris anno D[omi]ni mill[essi]mo ccccolxxxxviiio cujus a[nima]e p[ro]piciet' deus amē.'
There are several brasses fixed on the north wall of the chapel, the first having the inscription, 'Here lyeth interred the body of Edward Seagar gent who departed this life in certaine hope of a joyfull resurrection ye 11th of July Ao Dni 1640.' Above is a small plate with the arms, a cheveron between three molets. The crest is a dragon's head.
The next brass has the figures of a woman and nine daughters, and an inscription: 'Here lieth Thomas Chapman and Agnes hys wyffe which Thomas decessid the first day of Maye in the yere of owre lord God mlcccccxxiith on whois soules Ihū have mercy A.'
To the east of this is an early 16th-century brass figure of a man in armour cut off below the knees, and another brass with the figure of a woman in a pedimental head-dress, with her six daughters, and the inscription, 'Hic sub pede jacent corpora venerabilis viri Johīs Haydok armig'i et Elizabeth consort' sue ql quidem Johīs obiit vicesimo sexto die mensis marcii anno d[omin]i mill[essi]mo quingentesi[m]o quarto quo[z] a[nim]abus p[ro]picietur de' amen.'
Another brass represents a man in a fur-trimmed doctor's robe with hanging sleeves. The inscription is 'Will[elmu]s jacet hic quo[n]dam Goode ex patre dictus | Presbiter & doctor artibus Oxonie | quē clare enutriit quo[n]dā Merton dom' alma | huic gen' & mores, Leycestria terra dat ort' | P' quō qui legis hec carmina funde preces.'
Over the wall monument is a black marble slab to 'Mary late wyffe of Edward More eldest daughter and coheire of Sr Adryan Poyninges, knight and brother to Thomas last Lord Poyninges & of Mary wyffe of the said Sir Adryan & daughter & sole heir of Sir Owen West knight' etc. She died in 1591. (fn. 220)
In the south chapel is a floor slab in which is a brass inscription to Margaret Pie, second daughter of Thomas Pie, who only lived a little over a month and died in 1636. In the middle of the slab the child is represented in swaddling clothes. In the top of the stone is a small brass panel with Cupids' heads and a scroll bearing a Latin text. There is also a shield of the arms of Pie, which are Vert three fleurs de lis stalked and slipped or.
Above his is a monument with Ionic pillars and a pediment over, containing a shield of the arms of Heydock of Greywell. There is a painted blackletter inscription, now practically perished, only a few words being legible.
The tower contains six bells, of which the treble and tenor are by Lester & Pack, 1761, the second is by Henry Knight, 1615, the third is by the same founder, 1614, the fourth has 'Henry Knight made mea 1667,' and the fifth is by William and Robert Cor, 1713.
The plate consists of a silver-gilt chalice and paten of 1617, the gift of Robert South, of London, goldsmith; another gilver-gilt paten of 1711; two silver flagons, one of 1630; two silver chalices of 1849 and 1893; a silver paten of the latter date and a glass flagon.
There are ten books of registers, the first being a large well-bound volume containing baptisms from 1538 (a paper copy of 1603) to 1653 and from 1660 to 1739. The marriages are from 1538 to 1653, and from 1662 to 1739, and burials from 1538 to 1739. The second volume is one that was probably overlooked in binding up the first, as it fills up the above gap, the baptisms being from 1653 to 1660, marriages from 1655 to 1659, and burials from 1653 to 1660.
The third book contains baptisms and burials from 1740 to 1783, and marriages from 1740 to 1754. The fourth contains marriages from 1754 to 1771, the fifth continues the same to 1783, and the sixth brings the marriages up to 1812. The seventh contains burials from 1783 to 1800, the eighth has baptisms from 1783 to 1793, and the ninth book has baptisms on printed forms from 1793 to 1812, and the tenth contains burials from 1800 to 1812.
Other books are as follows—tithe book 1743, vestry book 1785 to 1789, banns book 1771 to 1838, and a churchwardens' account book from 1809 to 1873. There is also a curious old black-letter book entitled Christs Victorie over Sattans Tyrannie, by Thomas Mason, 1615.
At the time of the Domesday Survey there were two churches at Odiham to which belonged two hides of land, (fn. 221) and of the manor of Odiham two priests held two churches (fn. 222) with 2 virgates of land. Odiham Church was granted by Henry I about 1115 to the church of St. Mary of Salisbury and to Roger the bishop. (fn. 223) Stephen confirmed the grant and collated the church to the use of the master of the school of Salisbury, or the chancellor of the cathedral, whose duty it was to superintend the schools of the chapter. (fn. 224) Subsequently the church of Odiham seems to have been lost to the cathedral, for about 1157 Henry II restored it to Jocelin, Bishop of Salisbury, in exchange for the castle of Devizes. (fn. 225) It then became the custom for the Chancellor of Salisbury to be parson of Odiham. (fn. 226) The presentations to the vicarage were made by the chancellors till 1856, when on the death of the last chancellor (fn. 227) the patronage was transferred to the Bishop of Winchester. (fn. 228)
The parson of Odiham had common of pasture in the demesne lands of Odiham and in the wood of Whitmondeslye and in Holnhurst. (fn. 229)
The chapels of Greywell, Liss, Weston Patrick, and Rotherwick were annexed to the church of Odiham, (fn. 230) and there was also a chapel dedicated to St. Michael in Odiham. (fn. 231) It is called the king's chapel, and may have been in the castle.
There was also, in the middle of the 16th century, a chapel of ease at North Warnborough, which was 'imploid in the time of the plage for ministration to the whole, and for a place to teach children in.' This chapel was founded by the inhabitants ' to have continuance for ever, there to be assisting and adding to such ministration as is required to be among the people by the word of God and to the entent to teach children grammar.' At the Reformation the inhabitants of Odiham stated that in the town of Odiham were 'above 1,000 houseling people,' and that the town extended into divers tithings or hamlets, being distant some 2 and some 3 miles, 'being very yvele wayes in the winter season for the people to come to the parish church of Odiam,' and the vicar kept a priest in the chapel of ease at Greywell, where there were more than eight score 'houseling' people who had ministration in the said chapel. (fn. 232) In 1587–8 Odiham chapel, at the end of the Netherdonningle, was granted to Edward Downing and others. (fn. 233) The chapel at North Warnborough was apparently destroyed; there is now an iron mission room there.
The Congregational chapel at Odiham was founded in 1662. (fn. 234) There is a Baptist chapel which was built in 1877, (fn. 235) and the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists also have places of worship at Odiham. A house at Odiham was licensed in 1672 for Presbyterian worshippers. (fn. 236)
The Consolidated Charities are regulated by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, dated 4 June 1886, as varied by a scheme of 11 March 1904. They comprise the following charities:—The almshouses founded by Sir Edward More (will and indenture of 1623), and by Daniel Wyeth, by deed 1648, and by Richard Raggett.
The charity of Robert Ray (deed 1674), formerly endowed with a moiety of the New Inn public-house with its appurtenances and certain quit-rents which were sold in 1904 for £1,900, which was invested in £1,872 0s. 4d. War Stock with the official trustees. (For the other moiety see under Hartley Wintney.)
The charity of John Vaus (will 1630), now consisting of a rent-charge of £27 a year charged on Odiham Down Farm, belonging to Sir Henry Paulet St. John-Mildmay, bart., who also paid £1 a year out of Odiham Brick Kiln, which was redeemed in 1905 by the transfer to the official trustees of £33 6s. 8d. India 3 per cent. stock.
The scheme of 1886 directed that £210 per annum should be paid out of the income to the governors of the grammar school, in respect of which a sum of £8,400 consols was, under the scheme of 1904, transferred by the official trustees to a separate account; that £250 per annum should be applied in support of the almshouses, and the remainder for the benefit of deserving and necessitous poor.
In July 1907 the official trustees held on the 'general account' £1,828 19s. 9d. consols, and in respect of a moiety of Robert Ray's Charity £936 0s. 2d. War Stock, and £16 13s. 4d. India 3 per cent. Stock, and £1,259 0s. 5d. 2½ per cent. annuities, representing a share of Helena Mary Webb's Charity (see below), also a sum of £11 0s. 5d. consols as a repair fund. The official trustees also hold the sums of £765 12s. 4d. consols and £69 6s. 5d. like stock on investment accounts. The War Stock ceased to exist on 5 April 1910, and the moiety of Ray's Charity, namely the £936 0s. 2d., has been invested in £940 13s. 3d. New South Wales 3½ per cent. stock.
The charity of John Mclntyre, M.D., who by will proved on 19 March 1903, bequeathed £1,000 for providing a village hospital. This amount, less costs, was invested in £1,009 16s. 7d. consols. By a scheme of 4 July 1905 the dividends are made applicable for the maintenance of a parish nurse, and are being accumulated pending arrangements for the erection of a house for the nurse.
The charity of Samuel White, who by will proved 24 May 1905, bequeathed a sum of money for the erection and maintenance of almshouses, which was invested in £2,266 3s. 5d. London County 3 per cent. Consolidated Stock. In July 1907 £253 5s. 11d. of this stock was sold for the erection of new almshouses.
The charity of Helena Mary Webb, who by her will proved at London 7 January 1902, directed her residuary estate, amounting to £3,777 1s. 2d. consols, to be divided equally among the Odiham charities. By an order of the Court of 11 November 1902 one third of the capital sum was directed to be applied in augmenting the value of any scholarships tenable at the Odiham Endowed School, one third for the Odiham Consolidated Charities, and the remaining one third to be held in trust for 'Webb's Charity.' The several sums of stock are held by the official trustees.
The church rents are represented by an annual payment of 35s. given by Nicholas Vaus by deeds of 1543 and 1553. This sum is paid to the churchwardens as to 30s. out of a farm called Bean Lands, and as to 5s. out of a small meadow called Turtles, and applied in aid of the church rates.
The Grammar School, founded in 1694 by Robert May and enlarged by James Zouche in 1702, is regulated by schemes under the Endowed Schools Acts of 20 October 1874, as amended by schemes of the Charity Commissioners of 16 May 1884 and 22 December 1899. (fn. 237)
The trust property consists of the school and master's house, a rent - charge of £22 10s., £9,510 12s. 10d. consols, including £8,400 like stock set aside out of the Consolidated Charities (see above), and £1,259 0s. 5d. 2½ per cent. annuities, being one third share of Helena Mary Webb's Charity (see above).
Additions to the school buildings were made in 1877 out of a legacy of £1,000 bequeathed by will of Miss Susan Bricknell, and further additions have recently been authorized by the Board of Education.
Elizabeth Webb and Sarah Webb, by deed dated 5 October 1848, conveyed certain property at North Warnborough for a school, which by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 28 April 1901 ceased to be carried on; the net rents of the two cottages and gardens belonging to the trust, let at £6 a year, were directed to be applied for augmenting the value of any scholarships or exhibitions tenable at the Odiham Endowed School.