A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 5. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE LIBERTY OR HUNDRED OF EAST MEDINE
|ARRETON||NEWCHURCH (fn. 1)||WHIPPINGHAM|
|BRADING (fn. 2)||ST. LAWRENCE||YAVERLAND (fn. 3)|
The natural division of the Isle of Wight into the hundreds of East and West Medine is of early origin, certainly dating from early in the 13th century, (fn. 4) though in the Domesday Survey practically the whole Island, and certainly all that part now contained in East Medine Liberty, was included in Bowcombe Hundred. (fn. 5) This point is treated more fully under West Medine, in which Newport, the capital of the Island, is situated. The boundaries and extent of East Medine have practically remained unaltered since the 13th century.
The hundred belonged to the lords of the Island, (fn. 6) who claimed in it the same privileges as in the hundred of West Medine. (fn. 7) The hundred court was held at 'Estmed le Hate,' (fn. 8) which Sir John Oglander locates as 'the Hatt of trees on the East end of Stanum down nere the parke gate going into Arreton grounds from the down, but now all the trees are gonne.' (fn. 9) By the entries in the court rolls for April 1605 it appears that the hundred of East Medine contained the tithings of Hardley, (fn. 10) Yaverland, St. Helens, Kerne, Sandown, Shanklin, Wroxall, Week, Stenbury, Niton, Nettlecombe, Whitwell, Rowde, Rookley, Knighton, Arreton, East Standen, Fairlee, Whippingham, West Standen and Wootton.