A History of the County of Hertford: Volume 4. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1971.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
4. SALBURN PRIORY IN STANDON
The Benedictine priory of St. Michael of Salburn in Standon was a cell of the priory of Stoke by Clare. Between 1173 and 1178 (fn. 1) Richard de Clare Earl of Hertford granted to his monks of Stoke the hermitage of Standon which William the Anchorite built, that they might celebrate service there to the honour of St. Michael, St. John Baptist and St. John the Evangelist for him and his relatives, saving, however, the right, peace and quiet of William the Anchorite. (fn. 2)
It was apparently the earl's intention to establish a community of religious there, and the hermitage was probably for a time a cell of Stoke, for in the 13th century it was known as the house of St. Michael of Salburn, (fn. 3) and several grants (fn. 4) were made by various persons to the 'brothers of Salburn.' (fn. 5)
From the beginning of the 14th century there is no sign of any community here. In 1306 Roger de Castone, chaplain, was made brother of the Chapel of Salburn, (fn. 6) but as the expression 'house' never occurs again in this connexion the place had no doubt already become a free chapel, (fn. 7) and is so named in 1384 (fn. 8) when the king presented owing to the minority of the patron. The anchorite William had successors: Richard le Hermit (fn. 9) of Salburn obtained papal confirmation for certain gifts made to him (fn. 10); Brother John the hermit is mentioned in the Standon Court Rolls in 1357, (fn. 11) and John Benwell, hermit chaplain, received the hermitage of Salburn in 1398. (fn. 12)
Wardens Or Chaplains Of Salburn
John de Salburn, chaplain, appointed 27 May 1269 (fn. 15)
Roger de Castone, chaplain, appointed 11 June 1306 (fn. 16)
Andrew, chaplain, occurs 1351 (fn. 17)
Robert de Lincoln, king's clerk, appointed 1384 (fn. 18)
Simon Bynham, chaplain, appointed 1392 (fn. 19)
John Benwell, hermit chaplain, appointed 1398 (fn. 20)
A seal of the 13th century, (fn. 21) in shape a pointed oval, shows St. Michael trampling on the dragon and piercing its head with a long cross. Legend: s'. DOMVS SBI MICAELIS D'SALEBVRNE.