A History of the County of Huntingdon: Volume 1. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
THE RELIGIOUS HOUSES OF HUNTINGDONSHIRE
THE religious houses of Huntingdonshire were few in number, but their paucity was counterbalanced by the wealth, antiquity and importance of Ramsey abbey, which well deserves study. Those houses of the Benedictine order, besides Ramsey and its cell at St. Ives, were the priory of St. Neots and the small nunnery at Hinchinbrook. Of houses of other orders there were the Cistercian abbey at Sawtry St. Judith (fn. 1) and two priories of Austin canons, one at Huntingdon and another at Stonely. The Austin friars had a house in Huntingdon, but none of the other mendicant orders were represented. Hospitals must have existed in connection with the larger towns; but at present only three can be traced, and they were all in Huntingdon.