A History of the County of Huntingdon: Volume 1. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
10. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. JOHN, BAPTIST, HUNTINGDON
The hospital of St. John, Baptist, is said to have been founded by another member of the Scottish royal family, David Earl of Huntingdon: probably the brother of William the Lion. (fn. 1) In this case it would date from about the beginning of the 13th century. It was apparently an ahmshouse for the poor, and was remodelled by Bishop Dalderby, (fn. 2) no doubt on the same lines as other hostels of the kind. It was usual in such institutions for the brethren to keep some form of the rule of St. Augustine, and to wear a uniform habit of some dark colour. (fn. 3) In 1301 Bishop Dalderby granted an indulgence for the benefit of this hospital, (fn. 4) and in 1310 he gave a license to the master and brethren for the dedication of an altar in their chapel. (fn. 5)
The charge of the chapel on Huntingdon bridge was granted in 1337 to the master, to increase his revenues. (fn. 6) In 1385 an inquiry was made as to the ordination of the hospital, which had been some time lost. (fn. 7) Whether there were still any poor folk maintained here cannot be certainly proved: but masters were appointed by the mayor and burgesses until the suppression of chantries and hospitals in 1547. Being vested in the corporation of the town, this hospital escaped destruction with the rest, and was continued in the form of a free school, (fn. 8) which afterwards obtained celebrity as the place where Oliver Cromwell had his education.
The revenue of the hospital in 1534 amounted to £6 7s. 8d, (fn. 9)
Masters of St. John's Hospital
John de Broughton, (fn. 10) appointed 1313.
William de Halton, (fn. 11) appointed 1315, resigned 1329.
Adam le Teynturer, (fn. 12) appointed 1329, died 1335.
Henry de Luton, (fn. 13) appointed 1335, died 1347.
Peter Hitchen, (fn. 14) appointed 1347, resigned 1355.
Geoffrey de Deeping, or de Celario, (fn. 15) appointed 1355, resigned 1356.
Henry de Yaxley, (fn. 16) appointed 1356, resigned 1362.
Robert Gammerman, (fn. 17) appointed 1362, resigned 1367.
Richard Dobson, (fn. 18) appointed 1367, resigned 1384.
Richard Pittes, (fn. 19) appointed 1384, resigned 1384.
John Bohun, (fn. 20) appointed 1390, resigned 1391.
Peter Maydenwell, (fn. 21) appointed 1391, resigned 1394.
Nicholas Trappe, alias Hemingford, (fn. 22) appointed 1394, resigned 1417.
Thomas Peatling, (fn. 23) appointed 1417, resigned 1420.
John Easton, (fn. 24) appointed 1420, resigned 1420.
Thomas Chace, (fn. 25) appointed 1420.
William Foote, (fn. 26) resigned 1435.
Thomas Aleyn, (fn. 27) appointed 1435, died 1453.
John Leek, (fn. 28) in decretis licenciatus, appointed 1453, died 1462.
John Derby, (fn. 29) appointed 1462, died 1489.
Thomas Erith, (fn. 30) appointed 1489, died 1517.
William Thorpe, (fn. 31) appointed 1517, resigned 1522.
William Taylard, (fn. 32) utriusque juris doctor, appointed 1522, died 1532.
Roger Reynolds, (fn. 33) appointed 1532, died 1547.
Edmund Crowdar, (fn. 34) appointed 1547, resigned 1551.
William Stockwith, (fn. 35) appointed 1551, died 1558.
Thomas Alcock, (fn. 36) appointed 1558.