A History of the County of Huntingdon: Volume 3. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1936.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Tilbrook was formerly in Bedfordshire, but was transferred to Huntingdonshire in 1888, under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1888. Historically it belongs to Bedfordshire, and is described in the Victoria County History for that county. (fn. 1)
The church remained in the Archdeaconry of Bedford until 1914, when it was transferred to the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon. In 1930, the base of the original western respond of the nave arcade was found in situ in the angle between the aisle and the tower, showing that the present half-arch at the west end was once complete.
In the Victoria and Albert Museum, South Kensington, is part of a chancel screen, c. 1380–1400, from this church. It consists of one bay and two half-bays, with two-centred arches, cusped and subcusped, under a square head and with traceried spandrels. Above the top beam are two bays of the loft-front, each of three traceried panels with a band of quatrefoils below. It is apparently the western part of the chancel screen before the present 16thcentury chancel arch was built, (fn. 2) and seems to have been acquired by the Museum in 1910. In addition to the plate mentioned in 1912, there are now: a silver chalice, hall-marked for 1917–8; a silver paten, hall-marked for 1915–6; a silver ciborium, hallmarked for 1923–4; and a silver viaticum pyx, hall-marked for 1926–7.