A History of the County of Kent: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1926.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
72. THE PRIORY OF PATRIXBOURNE
John de Pratellis, who founded the priory of Beaulieu, in the forest of Preaulx, in Normandy, about the end of the twelfth century, granted (fn. 1) to it the manor of Patrixbourne, of the inheritance of his wife, and a cell was established there. The prior and canons of Patrixbourne were afterwards dispossessed by King John, but were allowed to have the land again in 1207 for a payment of 30 marks and a palfrey. (fn. 2)
On the death of Simon, prior of Beaulieu, in 1332, the king took the manor of Patrixbourne into his hands, but at the complaint of the next prior an inquisition (fn. 3) was taken by which it was found that the king had no right in it, and the king accordingly on 4 October, 1333, ordered the escheator not to meddle further. (fn. 4) During the war with France the manor was taken into the king's hands with other lands of aliens and committed to the custody of the proctor of the prior of Beaulieu, at a rent of £10 yearly; but in 1340 it was surrendered by him on the ground that he could not pay the rent, and committed to the custody of the abbot of Langdon on the same terms. (fn. 5)
On 7 June, 1390, Richard Altrincham had licence to acquire the manor from the prior and convent of Beaulieu for sixty years, on condition that he rendered to the king as much as they then did. (fn. 6) He sold his estate in it to the prior and convent of Merton, in Surrey, on 3 October, 1409; (fn. 7) and on 11 August following the king granted licence for the prior and convent of Beaulieu to grant the manor to the prior and convent of Merton in mortmain under the condition that the latter should pay 100s. yearly at the Exchequer during the war. (fn. 8)