A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1908.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
20A. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. SAVIOUR, STIDD UNDER LONGRIDGE
The hospital of St. Saviour at Stidd under Longridge in the township of Dutton and parish of Ribchester can be traced back to the reign of John, about which time Richard de Singleton gave four acres in Dilworth to the master and brethren. (fn. 1) It was afterwards granted to the Knights Hospitallers and became attached to their preceptory at Newland near Wakefield. Shortly afterwards, or early in the fourteenth century, it seems to have ceased to be a hospital, though its chapel remained in use. (fn. 2)