A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 4. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This small township, at one time called Harpurhey with Gotherswick, (fn. 1) lies on both sides of the road from Manchester to Middleton, extending westward to the Irk. In 1830 it was described as abounding in pleasant views. (fn. 2) It has long been a suburb of Manchester, and almost covered with buildings. The area is 193 acres. In 1901 the population was reckoned with that of Blackley.
The spinning, manufacture, and printing of cotton were carried on in 1833; (fn. 3) in 1854 there were two print works and a spinning shed. Cotton mills and print and dye works continue to exist.
An ancient stone hammer was found near Turkey Lane. (fn. 4)
Harpurhey was included in the Parliamentary borough of Manchester from the first but was not taken into the municipal borough until 1885. It ceased to be a township in 1896, becoming part of the new township of North Manchester.
HARPURHEY may derive its name from the 80 acres demised for life to one William Harpour by Sir John La Warre, lord of Manchester, early in the 14th century, loco beneficii. (fn. 5) In 1327 the same John La Warre granted 24 acres of land and wood called Harpurshey, lying next to the pale of his park of Blackley, to Adam son of Robert de Radcliffe and Alice his daughter, wife of John son of Henry de Hulton, and the heirs of Alice, at a rent of 26s. 8d. (fn. 6) This estate continued to be held by the Hultons of Farnworth until the 16th century, (fn. 7) when it passed to the Hultons of Over Hulton. (fn. 8) It was sold in 1808–10 by William Hulton to Thomas Andrew and Robert Andrew, the former purchasing Boardman's Tenement and the latter Green Mount and other lands. Thomas Andrew's estate, as Harpurhey Hall, descended to his son Edward, after whose death it was in 1847 sold to John Barratt. Robert Andrew died in 1831, having bequeathed the estate to trustees for his daughter and heir Robina, wife of Captain Conran. (fn. 9)
The land tax returns of 1797 show that Joseph Barlow, Robert and Thomas Andrew, and Samuel Ogden were the proprietors. (fn. 13)
For the Established worship Christ Church, Harpurhey, was built in 1837–8. (fn. 14) The patronage is vested in five trustees. St. Stephen's was built in 1901; the Crown and the Bishop of Manchester present in turns. There are mission churches.
The Wesleyan Methodists have a church. The Salvation Army has a barracks. There is also a Presbyterian Church. (fn. 15)