A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 5. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This township, which lies in the hundred of Blackburn, has three portions called Musbury Park, 904½ acres, Musden Head, 398½ acres, and the Trippet of Ogden, 410½ acres; the total area is nearly 1,713 acres. The northern boundary is formed by Ogden Brook, flowing east and south-east to join the Irwell. From the west and south two spurs of the hills project into the township, called Musbury Heights, 1,268 ft., and Burnt Hill and Tor Hill. The valley on the northernmost slope is called Ogden, that between the spurs Musbury, the head of it being called Musden Head, and that on the south Alden. Musbury Park is on the southern spur.
Musbury has ceased to be a township since 1894, when the borough of Haslingden was made a civil parish. (fn. 1)
A licence for free warren in Tottington was granted to the Earl of Lincoln in 1294, (fn. 2) and the park at Musbury appears to have been formed shortly afterwards. (fn. 3) There is little to be noted of this district, (fn. 4) nor does there seem to be any record of the manner in which it became attached to the hundred of Blackburn. Possibly as being a park it was included in the Forest of Rossendale. (fn. 5)