A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 5. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Rumworth is the central township, and contains the parish church. It measures about 2½ miles from east to west, but the average breadth is a little over a mile; the area is 1,244 acres. The River Croal forms the northern boundary, and from it the surface rises to the south. In the western part of the township is the reservoir called Rumworth Lodge.
The main road is that from Bolton to Wigan, passing by Deane Church; to the east is that from Bolton to Tyldesley, on which is the hamlet or suburb of Daubhill. The London and North Western Company's line from Bolton to Kenyon crosses the eastern end, with a station called Rumworth and Daubhill.
RUMWORTH was in 1212 joined with Lostock in Bolton as the third part of a knight's fee, held of the lords of Manchester. (fn. 1) In later times the Andertons of Lostock claimed a manor in Rumworth, (fn. 2) but the Hultons of Hulton and Farnworth were usually said to hold the third part of a fee in Rumworth and Lostock, performing suit of court and rendering for sake fee 4s. 6d., for ward of Lancaster Castle 3s. 6d., and puture of the serjeant and foresters. (fn. 3) The last-named service was commuted into payments of 28s. and 16s. respectively from the fourteen oxgangs of land in Rumworth, and the eight oxgangs of Lostock. (fn. 4)
With Farnworth the manor of Rumworth was purchased by the Hultons of Over Hulton, and has descended in this family. (fn. 5) Sir Charles Tempest, the heir of the Andertons, had a large estate in the township.
The local surname occurs, (fn. 6) but nothing is known of the family.
The Hospital of the Savoy had a rent-charge of 5 marks out of the manor of Rumworth. (fn. 7)
The contributors to the land tax in 1789 were Henry Blundell, who paid nearly five-sixths,—Blackburne, and William Hulton. (fn. 8)
The parish church of Deane has been described above. St. George the Martyr's, Daubhill, was built in 1880; the patronage is vested in trustees. (fn. 9)