A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 5. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Andelevesarewe, 1202; Milafosharh 1212 (an error of transcription); Anlauesargh, 1225; Anlewesearche, Anlawesaregh, 1246; Alaseharghe, 1288; Anelesargh, Anelesaregh, Anlesarath, Anlesaragth, 1292; Anlaghesarghe, 1302; Anlasargh, 1351; Anlazarghe, 1559.
The greater part of this township is a high moorland area, a spur of the eastern hills 1,000 ft. high projecting into the centre, from which point the surface descends to the north, west, and south. The area is 2,793 acres, (fn. 1) and the measurement about 2½ miles from east to west, by something less than 2 miles across. The greater part of the western border is occupied by one of the reservoirs of the Liverpool Waterworks, formed in 1847–57; the Yarrow reservoir, to the east, was formed in 1868–77. The population in 1901 numbered 93.
Almost the only road is that along the western border from Rivington to Heapey. There is no village of Anglezarke, but a hamlet called White Coppice lies in the north-west corner, and another called Hempshaws in the south-east.
There are numerous quarries, worked and disused; the stone is largely used for road-making. Lead mines were formerly worked here. (fn. 2) There is a cotton-mill at White Coppice.
The moors abound with grouse.
In 1666 only twenty-five hearths were liable to the tax. Robert Shaw's house, with five, was the largest. (fn. 3)
The earliest record of ANGLEZARKE shows that it was a dependency of the fee or barony of Manchester, and that Albert Grelley the younger (fn. 4) gave 2 oxgangs of land—apparently the whole of it—to Robert son of Henry de Lathom to hold by annual rent of 3s. (fn. 5) The Lathom family and their successors, the Stanleys, Earls of Derby, down to about 1600 continued to hold it (fn. 6) by the same tenure, and it was described as a manor.
The Standishes of Duxbury held lands of the Earls of Derby, (fn. 9) and in the 17th century and later their estate is called the manor of Anglezarke, they having purchased the Stanley rights. (fn. 10)
With other parts of the Standish of Duxbury estates it was in 1898 purchased by Mr. Percival Sumner Mayhew, but has recently been acquired by the Corporation of Liverpool in order to protect the Rivington water supply. (fn. 11)
George Shaw of High Bullough was a benefactor of the poor of the district. (fn. 17)