A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1911.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Dunnockschae, 1296; Dunnockschaghe, 1305; Dunnokschaw, 1323.
The extra-parochial district of Dunnockshaw, with a detached portion to the west of 81 acres in extent called Dunnockshaw Close, lies between Hapton and Rossendale on the southern slopes of Hameldon, and has an area of 388½ acres. (fn. 1) A village has grown up on the road from Rawtenstall to Burnley, which passes north-east through the main portion, and in 1901 the township had a population of 164.
In 1894 Clow Bridge, the south-east corner of Hapton, was added to this township (fn. 2); its population in 1901 was 354, raising that of the enlarged township to 518. There is a parish council.
Dunnockshaw was one of the booths in the forest of Rossendale. Its rent in 1504 was fixed at £2 3s. 4d. a year, (fn. 3) and it was perhaps the Primrose Syke held by John Ormerod in 1527 at a rent of 53s. 4d. (fn. 4) In the 17th century it was the property of the Towneleys of Hurstwood, (fn. 5) probably by inheritance from the Ormerods. (fn. 6)