A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 7. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
PART OF LANCASTER
Fulewde, 1199; Fulewude, 1228; Fulwode, 1297.
This township, formerly a woodland area and now to a great extent a residential suburb of Preston, lies to the north of Preston and Ribbleton. The Savock (or Savick) Brook crosses the centre, flowing westsouth-west to the Ribble. The western end is called Cadley or Cadeley; Killinsough is in the north-east. The surface, slightly undulating according to the watercourses, rises on the whole from west to east, attaining over 200 ft. above sea level. The township has an area of 2,116½ (fn. 1) acres, and in 1901 contained a population of 5,238, including 1,101 in the barracks, 784 in the workhouse, and others in charitable institutions.
Garstang Road, the main road from Preston to the north, crosses its western end, but a more noteworthy one is that which runs east and west near the southern border; it is called Watling Street, and is supposed to be on the track of an old Roman road from Ribchester to the sea. The Preston and Longridge railway passes through the south-eastern corner of the township, where there is a station called Ribbleton. To the north of it is the hamlet called Fulwood Row. The London and North-Western Company's main line to the north crosses the western end of the township. The electric tramways of Preston serve Fulwood.
The township contains the Preston Union Workhouse, built in 1865–8, and a large barracks, 1848, the depot of the 30th and 47th Regimental Districts, including the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, the old 47th and 81st Foot. On Garstang Road, on an estate formerly known as Crow Trees, is the Harris Orphanage for about 140 children, opened in 1888. (fn. 2) Homes for the Blind were opened in 1896. (fn. 3) The Home of the Little Sisters of the Poor and St. Vincent's Home for Boys, a Poor Law school founded in 1893 in memory of the late Bishop O'Reilly, are also in Fulwood.
A local board was formed in 1863. (fn. 4) Since 1894 there has been an urban district council of twelve members, elected by three wards—Central, East, and West. For parliamentary elections Fulwood is included in Preston.
The open land is chiefly in pasturage; the soil is loam and clay, with subsoil various.
Races used to be held on Fulwood Moor. They were discontinued about 1833. (fn. 5)
Fulwood was probably included in the forest of Lancaster on its formation, (fn. 6) and was thus taken out of the township and parish of Preston. (fn. 7) It occurs but seldom in the records before its disafforestation, (fn. 8) but part was in 1551 granted to Anthony Browne, who also had a moiety of the manor of Eccleston, &c. (fn. 9) Soon afterwards Browne transferred it to John Charnock and Thomas Clayton. Subsequently the 'manors' of FULWOOD and CADLEY are named, but little satisfactory evidence exists. (fn. 10) Hyde Park was at the east end of the township. (fn. 11) Inquiries as to the wastes of Fulwood were made in 1638 and 1640. (fn. 12)
Lambert Stodagh of Stodday died in 1511 holding lands in Preston and Fulwood of the king in socage. (fn. 13) His son Lawrence founded the school at Broughton. The Claytons of Whittle-le-Woods in the 17th century became the principal residents in Fulwood. (fn. 14) Their estate descended to Robert Clayton, Bishop of Clogher, who died in 1758, (fn. 15) having bequeathed it to his relatives the Claytons of Adlington.
An Inclosure Act for Cadley and Fulwood Moors was passed in 1811. (fn. 18)
For the Church of England Christ Church was built in 1865. The vicar of Lancaster is patron. (fn. 19)
There is a Congregational church, founded in 1894.
A school at Cadley was founded in 1707 by John Hatch. (fn. 20) Brunswick Chapel was purchased for the use of the school in 1865.