A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 7. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This township occupies a long strip of ground running north from the Ribble, with an area of 1,522½ acres. (fn. 1) The village of Newton is near the centre, Scales lying to the north-east of it, on the border of Clifton. The southern end has been reclaimed from the Ribble, and about a third of the remainder is flat ground, under 25 ft. above sea level; north of this the surface rises sharply to over 50 ft., Newton being situated on the slope, and then the ground again becomes even, descending a little at the northern boundary. The population in 1901 was 229.
There was formerly a curious inscription on the High Gate Inn. (fn. 2)
In 1066 NEWTON was a member of Earl Tostig's fee, and assessed as two plough-lands. (fn. 3) Afterwards it was included in the barony of Penwortham, and found to be divided equally between the fees of Freckleton and Preese, held by knight's service. (fn. 4) The former moiety was held by Singleton and Whittingham of the lord of Freckleton. (fn. 5) The other moiety long descended like Preese. (fn. 6) This was sold in 1608, (fn. 7) and in 1617 was held by James Townend and Edmund Hankinson. (fn. 8)
There were immediate tenants who assumed the local surname, and were benefactors to Cockersand Abbey. (fn. 9) A small part of Newton descended from Bradshagh (fn. 10) to Coppull, and was in the time of Henry VI sold to Thomas Stanley (fn. 11) of Lathom so descending to the Earls of Derby. (fn. 12)
Newton occurs but seldom in the records (fn. 13); the 'manor' is named in 1563. (fn. 14) In 1580 SCALES also was spoken of as a manor. (fn. 15) In 1794 the lords of the manor of Newton-with-Scales were Joseph Hornby, Richard Birley and Bertie Markland. (fn. 16) The names of some of the former landowners may be recovered from the inquisitions. (fn. 17) The Hospitallers had land in Newton from an early time. (fn. 18)
John Browne of Scales and Thomas Davie of Newton-with-Scales paid £10 each in 1631, having declined knighthood. (fn. 19)
A school, known as the Blue Coat School, was founded in 1707. (fn. 20)