A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 7. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1912.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
TREALES, ROSEACRE, and WHARLES
Treales is the southern half of this composite township, the northern half being divided between Roseacre to the north-west and Wharles to the southeast. The respective areas of the three portions are 1,998, 937 and 1,165 acres, or 4,100 in all. (fn. 1) The population numbered 492 in 1901. The greater part of the surface is flat, but in the south is some higher land, the 100 ft. above sea level being attained; but this declines somewhat sharply to the brook which forms the boundary between Treales and Kirkham.
From Kirkham a road goes north through Treales, standing on the higher land mentioned, and then by Bolton Houses and Cross Hill to Wharles, at which hamlet it divides, one branch going north-east to St. Michael's and the other north-west, by Roseacre and Sasswick House, to Elswick. There are some side roads and cross roads. The railway from Preston to Blackpool runs through the extreme south of the township.
In 1066 TREALES, a member of Earl Tostig's fee, was assessed as two plough-lands. (fn. 2) Afterwards it is found to be a member of the Weeton fee, held successively by Boteler and Stanley, and the lordship has descended to the present Earl of Derby. (fn. 3) ROSEACRE and WHARLES were probably improvements from the waste (fn. 4); it does not appear that they were ever considered to be manors. (fn. 5) The township is scarcely ever named in the records, but in 1228–9 a mandate was issued to the sheriff respecting Lewe de Treales, who had found ancient coins while ploughing. (fn. 6)
Thomas Firth (Styth) of Wharles in 1631 was fined £10, having refused knighthood. (fn. 7) Sir Edward Osbaldeston in 1637 had a small rent from Treales. (fn. 8) Some ' Papists' of Treales and Roseacre registered estates in 1717. (fn. 9)
Christ Church, Treales, for the worship of the Church of England, was built in 1855. The vicar of Kirkham is patron. (fn. 10)
The Presbyterians had a licensed meeting-place in Roseacre in 1689, (fn. 11) but it does not seem to have been permanent.