A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
This township, formerly also called Nether Hutton, occupies a hilly tract 1,085 acres in extent (fn. 1); the surface is broken by numerous spurs of the hills to the north-east, the general descent, east to west, being from nearly 500 ft. above sea level at Dalton Park to less than 100 ft. near Tewitfield. The population in 1901 was 172.
A branch of the Lancaster and Kendal road goes through the western end of the township; from it a minor road extends south-east to the village, and then turns south to Borwick. The railway from Carnforth to Wennington runs through the eastern end, near the Keer. The Lancaster and Kendal Canal crosses the extreme south-west corner.
Matthew Hutton was born here in 1529, and, being educated at Cambridge, adopted Protestantism and became one of the leading divines in England after the accession of Elizabeth. He was Master of Pembroke College and Regius Professor in his University, and after holding a number of dignities became Bishop of Durham in 1589 and Archbishop of York in 1 596. In his later see he showed himself a vigorous persecutor of those who clung to the old religion and in 1604 wrote protesting against any relaxation of the laws concerning them. He died in 1606. He was thrice married, and purchased an estate at Marske in Yorkshire, where his descendants have since continued. He was a benefactor to his native place, founding the school and hospital at Warton. (fn. 2)
Thomas Wilson, 1747–1813, of mark as master of Clitheroe School, was another native; he is noticed among the rectors of Claughton. (fn. 3)
In 1066 HUTTON was, like Warton, one of the manors held by Torfin of Austwick. (fn. 4) Afterwards probably it was granted to the Lancaster family and assigned by them to the endowment of Warton Church, thus acquiring its distinctive prefix. (fn. 5) One moiety of the manor appears to have been retained by the rectors of Warton in demesne, forming an important part of the rectory manor, which included lands also in the remaining townships of the parish. (fn. 6) The other moiety was held of the rectors by the Lancasters of Caton (fn. 7) and their successors, Harrington (fn. 8) and Mounteagle. (fn. 9) Other land, though not called a part of the manor, was held by the Crofts of Tewitfield of the rector of Warton. (fn. 10) In 1331 a fourth part of the manor belonged to a family surnamed Hutton, of whose history nothing is known. (fn. 11)
Lord Mounteagle in 1594 sold or mortgaged his manor of Priest Hutton to Robert Bindloss, (fn. 12) and afterwards it descended like Borwick. (fn. 13) The Croft estate is later found in the possession of Washington, (fn. 14) Lawrence (fn. 15) and Middleton of Leighton. (fn. 16) One or two other names occur in the inquisitions. (fn. 17) It does not appear that any manor is claimed now.
Whitebeck Mill was in 1560 the subject of a dispute between Richard Ashton and George Middleton. The latter claimed under a lease from Lord Mounteagle to his father Gervase, and when plaintiff cut off the stream of water he ordered it to be turned on again. (fn. 18)