A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Farletun, Dom. Bk.; Farelton, 1212; Farleton, 1229; Farlton, 1242.
This township occupies the northern slope of the hills of Whit Moor and Claughton Moor, the ground descending from 1,100 ft. above sea level to below 100 ft. in less than 2 miles. To the north again there is a tract of level ground extending as far as the Wenning and Lune. The main part of Farleton lies on the lower slope of the hill, but there are detached portions higher up to east and west, cut off by the detached part of Hornby. The total area is 1,051 acres. In 1901 the population was included with Hornby.
The principal road is that from Lancaster to Kirkby Lonsdale, which crosses the northern end of the township and turns north to Hornby; it has an eastward continuation through Wray to Bentham. A minor road goes south over the hill into Roeburndale. The Lancaster branch of the Midland Railway runs along near the northern boundary, and the station called Hornby is just on the border of Farleton.
The Lunesdale Union workhouse is in Farleton.
The township was joined to Hornby in 1887.
In 1066 FARLETON was one of the manors held by Chetel in Bentham. (fn. 1) Later it was added to the lordship or barony of Hornby, (fn. 2) and was included in a grant of six plough-lands made by Adam de Montbegon to GeofFrev de Valoines. A small portion, assessed as I oxgang ofland, was given to Ellis de Wennington. The tenure in each case was by knight's service. (fn. 3)
The former grant, the manor proper, descended like Cantsfield fora time, (fn. 4) but soon after 1300 came to the Harringtons of Aldingham, and in 1306 the manor was in dispute between John son of Robert de Harrington and John son of Walter de Cansfield. (fn. 5) This manor was granted to a younger son, who made it his residence, (fn. 6) and was known as Sir John de Harrington of Farleton; by his wife Katherine he had portions of the manors of Bolton-le-Moors, Chorley and Aighton. Sir John died in 1359 holding the manor of Farleton of John de Harrington of Aldingham by the service of a rose yearly and performing suit at the court of Hornby from three weeks to three weeks, the manor being held of Robert de Nevill of Hornby by knight's service. (fn. 7) Robert de Harrington, the son and heir, died abroad in 1361, his heir being a younger brother Nicholas, aged sixteen years. (fn. 8) William son of Nicholas by his marriage acquired the lordship of Hornby, but in 1411 made a settlement of the paternal manors of Farleton, Chorley, &c. (fn. 9) From this time the manor is recorded among the Hornby manors, as in the Mounteagle inquisitions and later (fn. 10); it also was claimed and apparently held by the heirs male of the Harrington family. Thus Sir James Harrington in 1479 had licence to build towers, &c., at Farleton, and to inclose and empark all his lands, woods, &c, there. (fn. 11) In 1521–2 the king granted to James Harrington the manors of Farleton in Lonsdale. Farleton in Kendal and Brierley in Yorkshire, formerly belonging to Sir James Harrington, and on his attainder granted by Henry VII to Sir Edward Stanley, (fn. 12) afterwards Lord Mounteagle, except certain portions (including Hornby); but these portions were to revert to James Harrington if Lord Mounteagle had no heirs male. (fn. 13) This right or claim appears from time to time, (fn. 14) and in 1664 the manors of Tatham and Farleton forfeited by James and Robert Harrington were granted by the king to the Earl of Cardigan, who also purchased the lordship of Hornby. (fn. 15) In this way the manor of Farleton seems to have become annexed to Hornby finally, and it has since descended with it.
The Wennington oxgang was perhaps that claimed by John son of Robert de Harrington in 1320 from Henry Drinkale. (fn. 16)
The manor of AKEFRITH, the site of which is now unknown, can be traced back to the time of Henry II, when it was granted to Hugh de Morewich, (fn. 17) to 1246, when the Yolton family were concerned in it, (fn. 18) followed perhaps by Hornby, (fn. 19) and down to the 16th century, when it was held by the Harringtons of Huyton. (fn. 20) It appears to have passed to the Croft family, (fn. 21) who however had been connected with the township in earlier timrs. (fn. 22) The Farleton family also occurs. (fn. 23)
A husbandman named William Jenkinson, ' having acted in the first war against the State,' compounded with the Parliament in 1649 by a fine of £4 10s;. (fn. 24)