A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1914.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
Angherton, 1277; Angerton, 1299.
This extra-parochial district has an area of 2,195 acres, of which more than half, viz. 1,120½ acres, is tidal water. (fn. 1) It occupies a tract of flat mossy land between Kirkby Pool on the east and the Duddon on the west. The population in 1901 was 27. The Furness railway line crosses it. There are 188 acres of arable land, 258 of permanent grass and 5 of woods and plantations, a large part being waste. The soil is sand and moss peat on sand and clay subsoil.
ANGERTON MOSS was originally in Broughton, but being granted to the monks of Furness was probably treated by them as part of their demesne and so became extra-parochial. (fn. 2) A number of the charters relating to it are preserved in the Coucher of the abbey. Alan de Kirkby in 1235 had pasture lands between Welpesat and Steerspool in Broughton, and agreed to pay Simon son of Matthew 4s. a year instead of 2s. for a quitclaim of Simon's right of pasture there. (fn. 3) Richard son of Simon de Broughton granted to Thomas Skilhare of Dalton the whole of Angerton Moss which Ralph son of Alan son of Orm de Kirkby had formerly held; the bounds began at a rock called Quelpesatcrag and went by the Duddon, Steerspool and Otterpool to the head of the last and thence across to the starting-point. A rent of 5s. was to be paid to the lord, and the said Ralph and Sir John Kirkby had rights of turbary. (fn. 4) After due inquiry (fn. 5) the king's licence was in 1299 granted allowing the alienation to the abbey. (fn. 6) A fishery in Steerspool had been allowed to Ralph son of Alan by Sir John de Kirkby, (fn. 7) and was granted by Ralph's son Adam to Adam de Bardsey and Isabel his wife, (fn. 8) and the rights of these families in Angerton Moss were afterwards yielded to the abbey. (fn. 9) Various confirmations were secured, and the Moss remained in the monks' possession down to the Suppression. An arbitration in 1424 awarded the soil absolutely to the abbey, but 80 loads of turf were to be allowed each year to Sir Richard Kirkby. (fn. 10) It was after 1537 granted on lease by the Crown, (fn. 11) until in 1608 it was sold to Edward Wilson, (fn. 12) probably acting for John Preston of the Manor.
In 1545 the king ordered a perambulation of the bounds of Angerton Moss and an inquiry into encroachments, rights of turbary and pasture, and the fisheries of Duddon and Steerspool. Richard Kirkby had made a fishgarth to the injury of a meadow there. (fn. 13) An ancient plan of the Moss is preserved at the Record Office, (fn. 14) probably accompanying the award made. (fn. 15) There were subsequent disputes over the turbary and fishing rights. (fn. 16) The Earl of Derby in 1586, as lord of the manor of Broughton, said that certain sands adjoining the water of Duddon Weir were among the appurtenances of the manor, and he and his ancestors had ever had a free fishing there; but that within the previous thirty years, owing to the continual inundation and power of the sea, the sands had been raised and made firm land, which was called Angerton Marsh. The tenants of Thomas Preston, the farmer of the queen's lands, had, so the earl complained, wrongfully obtained leases of part of this new marsh, pretending that it was part of 'a great parcel of ground in Broughton called Angerton Moss,' which belonged to the queen. (fn. 17)