A History of the County of Leicestershire: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1954.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
32. THE COLLEGE OF SAPCOTE
The small college of chantry priests at Sapcote was founded in or shortly after 1361, when licence was granted to Ralph Basset to alienate in mortmain 11 messuages, 10 virgates of land, and 20 acres of meadow at Sapcote and Stoney Stanton to two chaplains, who were to celebrate the divine offices in Sapcote church in accordance with Basset's ordinance. (fn. 1) In 1372 Basset was planning to increase the endowment and, to raise the number of chaplains to three. (fn. 2) By 1376 the third chaplain had been established, (fn. 3) and in the same year Basset obtained a licence for the alienation to the chantry college of property at Sapcote. (fn. 4) The chantry priests performed their office in the chapel of St. Mary, on the north side of Sapcote church. (fn. 5) The chapel was described in 1377 as newly erected, (fn. 6) and it was probably built by Basset for this chantry. The chantry college was known as the chapel of St. Mary, (fn. 7) and was under the control of a warden, (fn. 8) who was presumably one of the three chaplains.
Act for the Dissolution of Chantries the net yearly income of the college was given as £16. 10s. 5d. (fn. 9) The chantry college was suppressed under Edward VI. Its possessions at the time of dissolution included property in Sapcote, Stoney Stanton, Leire, Frolesworth, and Sharnford. (fn. 10)