A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
86. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. MARY MAGDALENE, PARTNEY
Another of the early hospitals of Lincolnshire was that dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene at Partney. The church of St. Nicholas and the chapel of St. Mary Magdalene at Partney were granted by Gilbert of Ghent to Bardney Abbey at its foundation, and confirmed to the monks there by his son Walter in 1115; (fn. 1) and the hospital must have been built shortly after this, either by Walter or by the first abbot of Bardney, for its endowments were confirmed by King Stephen and by Robert of Ghent the son of Walter. (fn. 2)
It had a master of its own during the reign of John; but seems to have been always dependent upon Bardney Abbey. It is uncertain whether it was intended for the sick or for the aged poor. By the fourteenth century it had ceased to be a hospital at all, and was regarded as a small cell to the abbey, which might occasionally provide a home for an abbot at his resignation. (fn. 3)
The only name of a master which can at present be recovered is Osbert, who occurs 1208 and 1209. (fn. 4)