A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
87. THE HOSPITAL OF BOOTHBY PAGNELL
The hospital of St. John Baptist, Boothby Pagnell, was founded towards the end of the twelfth century, either by John Paynell (fn. 1) or by Hugh of Boothby. (fn. 2) The latter, if he was not the founder, was a considerable benefactor of the house, which was intended for poor leprous women. He gave to it 4½ bovates of land in Morton, which Baldwin Wake had given to his brothers. Osbert of Boothby and Hugh his son added lands in Boothby. (fn. 3)
In the chantry certificate it is stated that the house had had no incumbent for two years; and it seems at that time to have been used for some time only as a parochial chapel for the hamlet. Its revenues amounted only to £3 19s. 4d. (fn. 4)
Chaplains of Boothby Pagnell
Giles (fn. 5)
William, (fn. 6) occurs 1309