A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
88. THE HOSPITAL OF GLANFORD BRIDGE, OR WRAWBY
This hospital was probably founded by Adam Paynell towards the end of the twelfth century, (fn. 1) and placed in charge of the abbot of Selby, Yorks. The abbot undertook to send one of his canons, whom Adam or his successors should choose, to be warden of the hospital for life. It was to be an almshouse for the poor; (fn. 2) but its dedication is unknown.
In 1236, however, Ralf Paynel complained that the abbot had turned the house to his own uses, contrary to the terms of the foundation, and at his wish Bishop Grosteste published a bull of Pope Gregory IX for the purpose of restoring it to its original uses. The abbot acknowledged the foundation charter and promised in future to abide by its terms. (fn. 3) It is not at present known how long this agreement had effect, as the institutions of masters do not appear in the episcopal registers.
Another hospital was founded at Glanford Bridge in Wrawby by Sir William Tyrwhitt in 1422, which apparently had no connexion with the old hospital. The foundation charter speaks of it as 'lately built' by Sir William, and it was dedicated to St. John Baptist. It was to provide maintenance for seven poor men living in the hospital, and two chaplains, of whom one was to be master; they were to pray continually for the souls of King Henry VI and the founder. (fn. 4)
Neither the first nor the second hospital appears in the chantry certificate.