A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
89. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. GILES WITHOUT LINCOLN
This hospital was probably founded some time during the thirteenth century. The name of the original founder is unknown; but some time before February, 1280, Oliver Sutton then dean of Lincoln, assigned the house with its revenues to the support of the vicars choral of the cathedral. (fn. 1) It had been intended for the reception of the poor; and in the fourteenth century Gilbert d'Umfraville, earl of Angus, added something to its endowments in order that servants of the cathedral past work might be admitted there in preference to other applicants. (fn. 2) Richard de Ravenser, archdeacon of Lincoln, to whom the earl had granted the manor of Sturton, ordained that twelve poor ministers and servants of the cathedral might be supported in the hospital, receiving ½d. daily for their food, and 4s. yearly for their clothing, and the dean and chapter confirmed the ordinance in 1384. During Richard's lifetime he was to fill all vacant places; after his death the right reverted to the dean and chapter. (fn. 3)
In 1428 the master of the hospital held one knight's fee and three-eighths of another in Sturton. (fn. 4) But by 1453 the value of the property seems to have diminished, for the warden received permission in that year to collect alms for the support of the hospital. (fn. 5)
The hospital of St. Giles is not mentioned in the chantry certificate; but the chapter acts of Lincoln Cathedral occasionally allude to it as a place of refuge for poor clerks, until the eighteenth century, when it fell into ruins.
Masters of St. Giles's Hospital
Henry Willensi, (fn. 6) occurs 1428
John Tyler, (fn. 7) occurs 1453