A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
94. THE HOSPITAL OF GRIMSBY
The hospital of St. Mary Magdalene and St. Leger at Grimsby was another of those founded within the thirteenth century. It was intended for lepers male and female; (fn. 1) and its revenues seem from the first to have been scanty and insufficient. In 1291 Bishop Sutton issued an indulgence to those who should contribute to the 'supreme need of the miserable poor lepers' of St. Mary Magdalene at Grimsby; (fn. 2) Bishop Dalderby gave them four similar indulgences between 1300 and 1314. (fn. 3) The last mention of the hospital is in 1336, when the king granted protection to those collecting alms on its behalf. (fn. 4)