A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
97. THE HOSPITAL OF ST. BARTHOLOMEW WITHOUT LINCOLN
The hospital of St. Bartholomew was intended for the reception of lepers and other sick persons. Like that of St. Leonard, it was 'without the castle' of Lincoln. There was a master and brethren here as early as 1314, but they are not heard of after 1331. Like many other such foundations, the house had fallen into poverty about this time, and we know of its existence only by the numerous licences for asking alms which were granted by the bishop (fn. 1) or the king (fn. 2) between the dates given above.