A History of the County of Lincoln: Volume 2. Originally published by Victoria County History, London, 1906.
This free content was digitised by double rekeying. All rights reserved.
103. THE HOSPITAL OF THORNTON
There was a hospital in 1322 'without the walls of Thornton Abbey.' An indulgence was granted that year for the repair of the chapel of St. James within the hospital, so that it must have been in existence for some time then. (fn. 1) It is uncertain whether it was intended for the poor or the sick.